Question PC keeps randomly restarting while gaming/idling.

Mar 25, 2023
Hello all, I've been using the forums to try to resolve this issue for the better part of a month now, as well as a few other forum sites as well. At this point I'm at my wits end unfortunately. My computer recently started to just decide to up and restart without any warning recently, most often during gaming sessions with any type of game, but also while the computer is just idling (only twice so far while idling). I recently upgraded from a gtx 1030 to a Gigabyte gtx 3060, and upgrade my PSU to a 1300W. I did forget to uninstall my old drivers, so the first thing I tried was I uninstalled my GPU drivers, then reinstalled the most current ones. This did nothing to help resolve the problem. I then tried to rollback to an earlier driver, and the problem still persisted. Then I tried downloading the drivers for my MOBO to my external SSD, and uninstalled the drivers for my MOBO, GPU and CPU while disconnected from the internet, restarted, and did a clean install of those MOBO drivers before proceeding to install the most recent for the other two devices after that was done. Finally, I decided to try a clean slate and did a fresh reinstall of my Windows to see if that would help, and it did not. I have gone past the realm of quintuple checking to make sure everything is plugged in correctly to the PSU. I have run programs to monitor temps for the CPU and GPU while gaming/idling. Idle temps never go past 32 degrees Celsius, and while gaming I have never had either surpass 55 degrees Celsius. My specs are as follows:

MOBO: ASUS Prime H670-Plus D4
CPU: Intel i9-12900k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 3060
AiO: Enermax Aquafusion 240 ARGB
RAM: Ripjaw 8g x1, Vulcan 8g x2 (all DDR4)
PSU: EVGA GT series 1300W (way too much for my needs, but I needed a better PSU for the new GPU, and that was all they had in stock at the time!)

Any additional ideas of thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Hello all, I've been using the forums to try to resolve this issue for the better part of a month now, as well as a few other forum sites as well. At this point I'm at my wits end unfortunately. My computer recently started to just decide to up and restart without any warning recently, most often during gaming sessions with any type of game, but also while the computer is just idling (only twice so far while idling). I recently upgraded from a gtx 1030 to a Gigabyte gtx 3060, and upgrade my PSU to a 1300W. I did forget to uninstall my old drivers, so the first thing I tried was I uninstalled my GPU drivers, then reinstalled the most current ones. This did nothing to help resolve the problem. I then tried to rollback to an earlier driver, and the problem still persisted. Then I tried downloading the drivers for my MOBO to my external SSD, and uninstalled the drivers for my MOBO, GPU and CPU while disconnected from the internet, restarted, and did a clean install of those MOBO drivers before proceeding to install the most recent for the other two devices after that was done. Finally, I decided to try a clean slate and did a fresh reinstall of my Windows to see if that would help, and it did not. I have gone past the realm of quintuple checking to make sure everything is plugged in correctly to the PSU. I have run programs to monitor temps for the CPU and GPU while gaming/idling. Idle temps never go past 32 degrees Celsius, and while gaming I have never had either surpass 55 degrees Celsius. My specs are as follows:

MOBO: ASUS Prime H670-Plus D4
CPU: Intel i9-12900k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 3060
AiO: Enermax Aquafusion 240 ARGB
RAM: Ripjaw 8g x1, Vulcan 8g x2 (all DDR4)
PSU: EVGA GT series 1300W (way too much for my needs, but I needed a better PSU for the new GPU, and that was all they had in stock at the time!)

Any additional ideas of thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the flash stick and let it run.
No errors allowed.

Hey there,

Random shutdowns like that, typically, point to a PSU issue. Your PSU is rather good, but that doesn't mean it's not failing.

Have you still got the old PSU? If so, swap it back in, and see how it goes. If you don't have it, you can bring to a local repair store and get them to swap it out and test for maybe 20£$€ or so.

You are also mixing and matching ram. This is not the way to go. This introduces issues, and when trying to diagnose, isn't helpful at all. Use only one matched kit, and test again. Do not use the other random DIMM.

Start with taking off any overclocks you may have, both CPU/GPU. edit: I see you have a H670 so CPU OC the CPU isn't available.

When you got the EVGA, you did use only the connector cables that came with the new PSU? I you've used any of your previous cables, you will need to swap them out too.

Are you you using Asus Armoury? If so, uninstall. It's one of those apps that can cause all sorts of issues, specially with any game that uses Easy Anti-Cheat.

Also, as Bob mentioned, you need to run the memtest for 4 passes min. Then it's pretty much accepted that it's stable at hat rated speed.

Lastly, you could try and set the memory manually rather than by DOCP. This could potentially be a fix.

Mar 25, 2023
So I pulled out my Ripjaw stick, and reran the diagnostic for the full 4 pass, which took just a bit over 4 hours. It all passed without any problems reported. I haven't tried to overclock anything at any point, so don't have to worry about turning that off. I am only using the EVGA cables that came with it, as my old PSU had all its cables integrated internally, so they can't be easy removed to reuse. I'm not using ASUS Armoury, the only programs I currently have installed beyond base Windows is Steam and GeForce experience, and they were working fine before these last two hardware replacements.

I will try replacing the PSU with the original one now since I do have it still, not sure how to set the memory manually at this moment, but I'm sure I can look up how to do it if that fails to resolve anything.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 25, 2023
I was finally getting a bit hopeful, but just had the restart occur again, so now the only thing that's changed from when this wasn't occurring to now, is I took out the mismatched RAM, and the new graphics card. I will try setting the memory manually now, but are there any other ideas to try to figure out if maybe the card is the problem?

Mar 25, 2023
Well, I followed the advice in the youtube video and changed the BIOs settings for my RAM to match what was on the sticker, but just experienced another random restart. Any other ideas by chance?