PC keeps rebooting after cpu overheating

Oct 5, 2018
Hello,

My PC keeps rebooting and I figure there are two possible problems:
1: Broken processor
2: Corrupted Windows

When I was playing a game suddenly the PC basically turned off except for the fans. When I rebooted the PC I was informed the processor overheated. So I turned my PC off and used some air to clean the fans in case they were dusty. After turning the PC on a little later the PC keeps rebooting right after the 'windows starting' screen shows up. If I start the PC I get the choice to start the PC normally or to start it in recovery mode. Normally results in a reboot and leads back to the same screen. The recovery mode does load but the system recovery fails after two attempts. So basically my questions are: What is the problem? If it's a Windows problem: can I repair or reinstall it without losing my files? And if it's a processor problem: is it possible to recover the files somehow?

Oct 5, 2018

It does allow me to start in safe mode but I'm not sure how to proceed next. After starting it in safe mode and rebooting the PC normally it does the rebooting and failed recovery thing again. So I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. I vaguely remember repairing windows before but I really don't know how I did it.

There is not a magic formula.

Sometimes simply starting a couple of times "in safe mode" fixes itself.

If the problems come from a new installed program or an incorrect hardware element, it must be removed. If there is overclock it is recommended to remove it too.

Oct 5, 2018
Now I'm really not sure what the issue is. When I ran an SFC it didn't find anything. As far as I'm aware I haven't overclocked anything. The problems started when my PC shut down because of an overheated CPU. I did make a backup of the files I needed. Should I just attempt to reinstall windows 7 again?

Oct 5, 2018
Ok, I think I figured out what part of the issue is and I'm working on solving it. In the system recovery options menu it mentions that my Windows OS is installed on the D: drive. But as far as I know, I don't have one. I used C for everything.