Question PC keeps rebooting after installing new cooling system

Sep 10, 2022
My PC keeps restarting repeatedly after I installed a new cooling system into it this afternoon. Logging in is about a fifty fifty chance, but there's always a guaranteed restart after a couple minutes. I got the cooling system because my Ryzen processor was climbing to 90 degrees Celsius this morning. The stock fan didn't seem to be doing its job, so I took the parts to get looked at and the technician told me the problem was that my old tower had a terrible air flow. So I bought a new tower and cooling system and transfered the parts into that one.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 gHz
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Ram(8GB x 2)
MSI B55M Pro-VDH w WiFi
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT
Corsair CX650F RGB
Radeon RX470 Graphics Card 4GB

The cooling pump turns red on boot, then changes to rainbow after the bios boots up. Now, my PC keeps rebooting every minute or so. It didn't do that with the stock fan.

EDIT: Had to clarify and rephrase that last part. Also added the graphics card

Last edited:
My PC keeps restarting repeatedly after I installed a new cooling system into it this afternoon. Logging in is about a fifty fifty chance, but there's always a guaranteed restart after a couple minutes. I got the cooling system because my Ryzen processor was climbing to 90 degrees Celsius this morning. The stock fan didn't seem to be doing its job, so I took the parts to get looked at and the technician told me the problem was that my old tower had a terrible air flow. So I bought a new tower and cooling system and transfered the parts into that one.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 gHz
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Ram(8GB x 2)
MSI B55M Pro-VDH w WiFi
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT
Corsair CX650F RGB
Radeon RX470 Graphics Card 4GB

The cooling pump turns red on boot, then changes to rainbow after the bios boots up. Now, my PC keeps rebooting every minute or so. It didn't do that with the stock fan.

EDIT: Had to clarify and rephrase that last part. Also added the graphics card
CPU_FAN header possibly not detecting a fan connected to it ?

Sep 10, 2022
That could be the case. My fan's connector is three pins and the mobo's is four.

For the record, my PSU is 650w. So I was thinking for the past hour that the liquid cooling needed 750w or so.

Sep 10, 2022
Where did you connect the pump and fans to on the motherboard?

Did you reset CMOS?

Brand and model of the old and new case?

LOL, no. A fan is about 3w each and the pump about 5w.

The old case is a Cooler Master. I forget the model number but I've had it for more than five years.

The new model is a Corsair 4000D Airflow

The pump is connected to the processor. The SATA cable is connected properly. As is the CPU fan to the connector of my motherboard. The micro usb connecter is connected to USB pins on my motherboard.

And no. I didn't reset the CMOS.

UPDATE: I tried the stock fan again and got the exact same result.

Last edited: