Question PC keeps rebooting back in to Windows without any BSODs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2022
Friend suggested I create a post here as I've been having issues for around ~6 months and we've tried to test each component and can't really find anything wrong.

Basically regardless of whether I am gaming or just sitting idle my PC will just freeze, sometimes my speakers begin screeching and then my monitors go off and my PC begins rebooting itself back into windows. This happens completely randomly but is happening a lot more lately (Used to be maybe once every few months, and it has already happened around 5-6 times this month alone)

My PCs RGB remains on at all times, I've done some CPU and GPU Stress tests and everything appears to be fine.

I originally suspected it was the ram, but I have replaced it and it still occurs, I secondly checked the PSU and just from checking the fan, the fact that it's cool and using HWInfo to log it, as far as I can tell it appears to be doing it's job.

The only thing I haven't been able to test is the motherboard, because I am unsure how exactly I would be able to test it without swapping it out and I don't have a spare.

tl;dr information on what happens:
PC Freezes
(Sometimes) Speakers begin screeching
Monitors go black (Best way to explain this is probably that they go into Standby?)
PC Begins rebooting (All RGB, Fans, etc all remain on at all times)
Happens randomly

PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU - MSI 3060Ti Gaming Z Trio LHR
Motherboard - MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi
PSU - 850W Corsair RM850X ATX
Storage - 2x 1TB Samsung 980
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Ryzen Tuned
Case - Be Quiet! PureBase 500DX
Cooler - Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

Additional Information:

I have a HWInfo log of 9-10 hours of logging in which this happens (Around the 10 hour mark - the end of the logs) Within these 9-10 hours I watch videos, play games and benchmark the CPU and GPU to try and get this issue to trigger
I have benchmarked the CPU & GPU using AIDA64, Furmark and some other applications attempting to trigger the "reboot" without any luck
Originally this only ever happened when playing games, as of late it has been doing it regardless, even when sitting idle doing nothing.

Apologies if I am repeating the same information or have explained it badly, if you require any information I'll do my best to answer and if someone can direct me on the best way to upload this HWInfo log for someone to check over that would be appreciated

Edit: When this first began happening I was running windows 11, I have since downgraded to Windows 10, I have also disabled Window's automatic reboot

Edit #2:

Event Viewer Information:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022
The basic thing to try is updating bios, system drivers and gpu drivers. Check to make sure everything is up to date.

Everything is up to date

BIOS - 7C90v1B1
GPU - 516.94
AMD Chipset Driver - 3.10.22.706
Realtek HD Universal Driver - 6.0.9363.1
Intel WIFI Driver - 22.140.0.3
BlueTooth Driver - 22.140.0.4
Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers - realtek_pcielan_w11.zip (MSI Doesn't list a version just the file name)
AM4 RAID Driver - 9.3.0.296

Everything is up to date

BIOS - 7C90v1B1
GPU - 516.94
AMD Chipset Driver - 3.10.22.706
Realtek HD Universal Driver - 6.0.9363.1
Intel WIFI Driver - 22.140.0.3
BlueTooth Driver - 22.140.0.4
Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers - realtek_pcielan_w11.zip (MSI Doesn't list a version just the file name)
AM4 RAID Driver - 9.3.0.296

Ok so you eliminated a driver problem. Did you recently install a new app or program right before this all started?

Aug 13, 2022
Ok so you eliminated a driver problem. Did you recently install a new app or program right before this all started?

Nope, I've had this issue with Windows 11 and downgraded to Windows 10 to see if the issue persisted (it did)

Did you clear CMOS after bios update? This is key. Some MSI mobo's have issues with RTX3XXx which can only be resolved by bios update.

I have not, I'll give it a try

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 13, 2022
Any luck after CMOS clear?

I'll let you know soon, I did it pretty late my time so I ended up heading to sleep right after.

I've noticed typically it seems to like to force reboot itself after around 7-10 hours of being turned on, with it sometimes liking to instantly freeze but not force reboot itself right after rebooting itself and logging in etc (I'd say maybe 10 minutes after it force reboots)

So I'll leave my PC turned on now and get back to you, hopefully it doesn't happen

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 13, 2022
Any luck after CMOS clear?

Well I had high hopes it had fixed it, it's been fine all week, using it for 12+ hours a day and then suddenly just minutes ago after just having my PC on for less than an hour and in the middle of a game of rocket league it just went clunk, screens went black, PC remained on and it began booting back up into windows..

Well I had high hopes it had fixed it, it's been fine all week, using it for 12+ hours a day and then suddenly just minutes ago after just having my PC on for less than an hour and in the middle of a game of rocket league it just went clunk, screens went black, PC remained on and it began booting back up into windows..

Ah damn. Are you using any 3rd party apps for performance? Ryzen master/CTR/Project Hydra?

Aug 13, 2022
Ah damn. Are you using any 3rd party apps for performance? Ryzen master/CTR/Project Hydra?

Nope, just performed a fresh install of Windows 10, I'll see how it goes now but I'm doubtful windows is the cause since it happened on Windows 11 and continued to happen after I downgraded to Windows 10

Kernal 41 means that the power was interupted for some reason. Often it's an OCP/OPP trip from PSU caused by the GPU. But that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Have you tried the PC at anothe rwall outlet? This might be worth a try. Just to test.

Have you got PBO on? Any difference if it's not on?

A bit of a long shot. What mouse have you? Does it have any software? If so, try uninstall it and test again.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022
Kernal 41 means that the power was interupted for some reason. Often it's an OCP/OPP trip from the GPU. But that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Have you tried the PC at anothe rwall outlet? This might be worth a try. Just to test.

Have you got PBO on? Any difference if it's not on?

A bit of a long shot. What mouse have you? Does it have any software? If so, try uninstall it and test again.

Pretty sure I've moved outlets since the very first time it happened as I've moved my PC since it first happened.

I don't have PBO on and my mouse is a Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Keyboard is a Razer Blackwidow V3 Pro and I also have a Razer mouse dock chroma and a Razer goliathus extended chroma.

I have noticed.. I don't think it does it every single time, but I'm pretty sure it does it when I start my PC anyway, windows makes all the bells and whistles of connecting a USB device and then all my stuff changes to the correct colours (Keyboard, Mouse, Mat, Charger & Even my AIO Pump/Fans/etc)

I have noticed.. I don't think it does it every single time, but I'm pretty sure it does it when I start my PC anyway, windows makes all the bells and whistles of connecting a USB device and then all my stuff changes to the correct colours (Keyboard, Mouse, Mat, Charger & Even my AIO Pump/Fans/etc)

That's very similar to my own system. At boot it does seem to blink out for a sec, and then all RGB/USB colours etc kicks in.

There's only a couple of fixes left to try at this stage. You might try swap out the PSU for something similar and see if it persists. Maybe bring to local repair store and get them to swap out and test for 20€£$ or so. After ruling out most everything else, I guess it's possible it's the mobo.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You might try swap out the PSU for something similar and see if it persists
Talking about psu, are all cables truly well in at both sides? Do check and maybe just reconnect all cables used at both sides.

Then the ram,

RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Ryzen Tuned
You said you swapped ram, is this the original or what you swapped to? Also one kit? Not mixed two 2x8gb sets ...

Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Aug 13, 2022
That's very similar to my own system. At boot it does seem to blink out for a sec, and then all RGB/USB colours etc kicks in.

There's only a couple of fixes left to try at this stage. You might try swap out the PSU for something similar and see if it persists. Maybe bring to local repair store and get them to swap out and test for 20€£$ or so. After ruling out most everything else, I guess it's possible it's the mobo.

I suspect the motherboard, I've done benchmark and stress tests on both the CPU and GPU while logging the information along with the power consumptions and it never once triggered the whole reboot thing and when I checked the logs all the temps, power consumption, etc were all fine

Talking about psu, are all cables truly well in at both sides? Do check and maybe just reconnect all cables used at both sides.

Then the ram,

You said you swapped ram, is this the original or what you swapped to? Also one kit? Not mixed two 2x8gb sets ...

Just some thoughts.

Cables are completely fine and connected correctly, this began happening when I only had 16GB Ram (2x 8GB) but since then I have swapped out the original 16GB and even purchased another 16GB so I am 100% positive that the ram is not the cause of it (Currently have 32GB - 4x 8GB)

Edit: I swapped to the same ram as what I had originally in, I just got a replacement on the original, replaced them and sent the old ones back as a return and then purchased another 16GB later - They aren't mixed, they're the same

Edit #2: I've RMA'd my motherboard, they're collecting it 24th August and they said they'll test it for around 3 days, if they find an issue they'll send it off to MSI for repair.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022
Even two kits of the exactly same ram is considered mixed and might well give issues.

Well it happened before I even added the extra 2 sticks hence why I 100% doubt the issue is with the ram.

Basically:
Had 2 sticks (8GB x2)
Kept doing what it's doing now
Bought 4 sticks (8GB x4)
Removed the older 2 sticks
Installed 2 new sticks
Made sure everything with windows/etc was okay
Installed the other 2 sticks
Still does what it's doing now

When I installed the new sticks I also removed the other sticks and compared the information on them and they were all the same (except serial number obviously)

Well it happened before I even added the extra 2 sticks hence why I 100% doubt the issue is with the ram.

Basically:
Had 2 sticks (8GB x2)
Kept doing what it's doing now
Bought 4 sticks (8GB x4)
Removed the older 2 sticks
Installed 2 new sticks
Made sure everything with windows/etc was okay
Installed the other 2 sticks
Still does what it's doing now

When I installed the new sticks I also removed the other sticks and compared the information on them and they were all the same (except serial number obviously)
I think what @Vic 40 is saying, is, were the 4 x 8 you purchased actually a quad pack of 4 x 8gb in a kit? Or two 2 x8 packs. Because this can still cause issues.

They were 2 x8 packs, but again the issue happened when I had the original 2x8GB pack in, so I still don't believe it to be ram related

Could also be indicative of your mobo being particularly sensitive to mixed DIMMs.

Might be worth trying an older bios. Maybe not the most recent one.

I know with Agesa 1.2.0.7 there were some stability issues with old bios setups or stored settings, where things in terms of voltage to ram and CPU were changed. This brought some instability. But I expect you would have fixed that with having when clearing CMOS. I'm running Agesa 1.2.0.3C (Bios version 2423) as the 1.2.0.7 brought voltage issues to my CPU which seemed to reduce performance. It may work for your ram issue.

Aug 13, 2022
Could also be indicative of your mobo being particularly sensitive to mixed DIMMs.

Might be worth trying an older bios. Maybe not the most recent one.

I know with Agesa 1.2.0.7 there were some stability issues with old bios setups or stored settings, where things in terms of voltage to ram and CPU were changed. This brought some instability. But I expect you would have fixed that with having when clearing CMOS. I'm running Agesa 1.2.0.3C (Bios version 2423) as the 1.2.0.7 brought voltage issues to my CPU which seemed to reduce performance. It may work for your ram issue.

Man, you guys are making me think real hard about whether I'm imagining it happened before I replaced the ram or not.

I bought the replacement ram in May but I can't remember when it first began doing the whole reboot sequence and I've reinstalled windows so many times now I can't just go check the event viewer.

Looking back at a chat with a friend I appear to have first mentioned it in June.. exactly one month after I had bought the ram..

I know when I was running windows 11 I was getting a lot of BSOD with the reason being WDF_Violation and it was happening quite often and nothing I did would stop it, which is why I eventually downgraded back to Windows 10.. I just don't know if I'm remembering stuff wrong and the forced reboots began happening after I swapped to Windows 10 or if they were happening before I did it

Looking back at my chats with a friend it appears I first mentioned the blue screening back in March and it was a pretty common occurrence and I did not have the ram replaced at this point and was still using 2x 8GB Sticks.

I think for now I shall try RMA my motherboard to the store I bought it from, at least they can actual test it and make sure it isn't the cause, if they come back that there are no issues with it then I guess I will have to try do something about the ram, I don't believe I can just return it to the store for a refund/replacement due to how long it has been so I'll have to have a think about that if it comes to it.

I'll let you know what they say about the motherboard in the mean time, I'm sending it off the 24th and they said they will spend 1-3 days testing it to determine if it should be sent to the manufacturer for repair.

Man, you guys are making me think real hard about whether I'm imagining it happened before I replaced the ram or not.

Oh, I know how ya feel mate! Been there many times. That's why I came to Tom's many years ago!! :tearsofjoy: Often making little mistakes, and remembering at 4.30 in the morning, whaat I did or didn't do!.

I think for now I shall try RMA my motherboard to the store I bought it from, at least they can actual test it and make sure it isn't the cause, if they come back that there are no issues with it then I guess I will have to try do something about the ram, I don't believe I can just return it to the store for a refund/replacement due to how long it has been so I'll have to have a think about that if it comes to it.

This is a good idea.

I'll let you know what they say about the motherboard in the mean time, I'm sending it off the 24th and they said they will spend 1-3 days testing it to determine if it should be sent to the manufacturer for repair.

Yes, please do. I wanna know what's going on as much as you do now! :)

Reactions: Kez0121
Or just upping some voltages for the ram

@op this is a good idea. Manually change the voltage only for the ram. maybe 1.40 (this is safe). You could also bump the SOC up 0.05mv. It should be set about 1.05 IIRC. With 4 DIMM slots populated this may help.

You should be able to set XMP, save setting, reboot, then manually change voltage and save again and exit. If not just set primary timings, leave everything else on auto and set voltages as suggested.

Reactions: Tac 25
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS