[SOLVED] PC keeps rebooting while playing games

Dec 10, 2019
Hi there!

Recently I bought a new pc and while I'm playing games, sometimes, the computer reboots. Here is what happens:
I'm playing the game, the screen freezes, there is a buzz coming from speakers and after some seconds, the screen goes black while the computer apparen tly reboots. The thing is if I wait some time the screen won't detect the computer (It says no signal). Then when I press the power button, the computer shuts down and when I click again on the button, the computer starts normally. I already searched on the internet about this issue and ussually the problem is hardware. I contacted support to the store I bought the computer from and they said to make stress tests on the gpu and cpu. That is what I did. The problem didn'r reproduced even on high temperatures. The memory is also fine. I noticed in the event viewer that there is a critical error from kernel-power #41 saying the pc rebooted unexpectedly.

The system components are AMD Ryzen 7 2700, MSI RX Vega 56 8 GB and 16 GB ram.

Thank you in advance

Solution
Your bought what the GPU recommends to power your entire PC. This is inaccurate as I see it. Whatever wattage the GPU recommends should actually be considered the minimum. To meet the true recommended wattage, you double it by whatever is listed as "recommended". In your case, your true recommended wattage would be upwards of 1300, so I wouldn't have gotten anything less than 1,000, especially with your GPU being on the higher end. This is not to say that your power supply is the reason why it keeps rebooting while playing games, but I wouldn't be surprised. My old PC did the same thing, and my PSU had less wattage than yours. My PC hasn't rebooted ever since I replaced it with a 1250 watt PSU. Here is what my A+ certification...

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
COOLERMASTER 650W POWER SUPPLY MWE WHITE V2

Your bought what the GPU recommends to power your entire PC. This is inaccurate as I see it. Whatever wattage the GPU recommends should actually be considered the minimum. To meet the true recommended wattage, you double it by whatever is listed as "recommended". In your case, your true recommended wattage would be upwards of 1300, so I wouldn't have gotten anything less than 1,000, especially with your GPU being on the higher end. This is not to say that your power supply is the reason why it keeps rebooting while playing games, but I wouldn't be surprised. My old PC did the same thing, and my PSU had less wattage than yours. My PC hasn't rebooted ever since I replaced it with a 1250 watt PSU. Here is what my A+ certification course taught you should do when selecting a power supply. Other A+ courses may claim differently.

2cb06d1327421652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2019
Your bought what the GPU recommends to power your entire PC. This is inaccurate as I see it. Whatever wattage the GPU recommends should actually be considered the minimum. To meet the true recommended wattage, you double it by whatever is listed as "recommended". In your case, your true recommended wattage would be upwards of 1300, so I wouldn't have gotten anything less than 1,000, especially with your GPU being on the higher end. This is not to say that your power supply is the reason why it keeps rebooting while playing games, but I wouldn't be surprised. My old PC did the same thing, and my PSU had less wattage than yours. My PC hasn't rebooted ever since I replaced it with a 1250 watt PSU. Here is what my A+ certification course taught you should do when selecting a power supply. Other A+ courses may claim differently.

2cb06d1327421652.jpg

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to contact the company.

PS: Forgot to mention, I bought the pc from Amazon uk, to be delivered in Portugal, where I'm from. Could it have any relation? The power cable the pc uses is from a monitor I had at home. I use it because uk and euro socket outlets are different.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

PS: Forgot to mention, I bought the pc from Amazon uk, to be delivered in Portugal, where I'm from. Could it have any relation? The power cable the pc uses is from a monitor I had at home. I use it because uk and euro socket outlets are different.

Oh I'm not sure, it shouldn't be a factor.

A 650watt PSU is enough for your system. Your entire system shouldn't be using more than around 320 watts at peak usage and you would normally want to keep usage to around 40-50% of the rated capacity of the power supply. So a 650 watt was the right call, but the issue is the quality of your power supply. It may be low quality since it's 80+ rated instead of at least 80+ Bronze or Gold, which would have been my recommendation for minimum power supply rating when running a Vega 56.

The first thing to do would be to open the computer case and check that the power cables plugged into the graphics card are both 6+2 pin and that one of them isn't a single solid 8 pin which is for CPU only. The specs for your power supply state a 4+4 and an 8 pin CPU power rails and four 6+2 pin PCIE rails. The 6+2 pin connectors break apart so you can use it as 6 or rejoin it to 8 pins total.

If you want to, you could buy a new 650-750 watt Bronze or an even better Gold rated PSU. If it doesn't fix the problem you can return it or keep it once the problem has actually been determined.

Dec 10, 2019
A 650watt PSU is enough for your system. Your entire system shouldn't be using more than around 320 watts at peak usage and you would normally want to keep usage to around 40-50% of the rated capacity of the power supply. So a 650 watt was the right call, but the issue is the quality of your power supply. It may be low quality since it's 80+ rated instead of at least 80+ Bronze or Gold, which would have been my recommendation for minimum power supply rating when running a Vega 56.

The first thing to do would be to open the computer case and check that the power cables plugged into the graphics card are both 6+2 pin and that one of them isn't a single solid 8 pin which is for CPU only. The specs for your power supply state a 4+4 and an 8 pin CPU power rails and four 6+2 pin PCIE rails. The 6+2 pin connectors break apart so you can use it as 6 or rejoin it to 8 pins total.

If you want to, you could buy a new 650-750 watt Bronze or an even better Gold rated PSU. If it doesn't fix the problem you can return it or keep it once the problem has actually been determined.

Hi, I just disassembled the PSU and sent it to seller. Just wondering is it normal hearing a scrapping sound coming from pc with the specs mentioned above?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2019
What exactly do you mean by disassembled the PSU? Were you hearing the sound with the system turned on? The sound may have just been a wire hitting a fan. Can you describe the sound a bit more?

I mean I took the PSU out of the pc case :)
The sound usually happens at high demand tasks. One thing I noticed is that while playing games the issue happens when there is a drop of FPS. Other time I noticed is when I turn on the pc. I think it might be a fan, but not sure if the sound is normal. It is a scrapping sound. Like something wants to move but there is a resistance of the movement. When I opened the case there was no cable near the fans.

I mean I took the PSU out of the pc case :)
The sound usually happens at high demand tasks. One thing I noticed is that while playing games the issue happens when there is a drop of FPS. Other time I noticed is when I turn on the pc. I think it might be a fan, but not sure if the sound is normal. It is a scrapping sound. Like something wants to move but there is a resistance of the movement. When I opened the case there was no cable near the fans.
What is the case model and how many fans does it have? It's possible that removing the side panel moves the wire that is touching a fan.

Dec 10, 2019
What is the case model and how many fans does it have? It's possible that removing the side panel moves the wire that is touching a fan.

The case has four fans: 1 for the case, 1 for the cpu, 1 for the GPU and other for the PSU. The side panel was transparent and I could see that the cables were not in contact with the fans.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I bought it on Amazon uk from Cyberpower UK

I would have had mine custom built from the ground up from an actual store you can drive to instead of buying it off the internet. Computers are the one thing I would never buy off of the internet, but that's just me. The only computer I would buy off the internet is a console, because with a console you at least know exactly what you are paying for.

Dec 10, 2019
I would have had mine custom built from the ground up from an actual store you can drive to instead of buying it off the internet. Computers are the one thing I would never buy off of the internet, but that's just me. The only computer I would buy off the internet is a console, because with a console you at least know exactly what you are paying for.

You are right, I just bought the PC because I had funds in my paypal account (bought gift cards). The paypal money comes from online work (QA companies). I didn't want to buy with bank account funds in my country's stores.

A SSD. Although it comes also with a HDD but it is not detected (This is other problem, I need to find a solution for).
That sound you are hearing is possibly a dead hard drive if it's plugged in properly. There may be more problems with the computer and you should possibly consider returning it if you still can if testing with a new PSU doesn't fix anything. There could be some other damaged parts from the system being shipped.

Dec 10, 2019
That sound you are hearing is possibly a dead hard drive if it's plugged in properly. There may be more problems with the computer and you should possibly consider returning it if you still can if testing with a new PSU doesn't fix anything. There could be some other damaged parts from the system being shipped.

Forgot to mention when I opened the case the HDD was not correctly fixed, it was a bit loose.