[SOLVED] PC keeps rebooting while playing games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2019
Hi there!

Recently I bought a new pc and while I'm playing games, sometimes, the computer reboots. Here is what happens:
I'm playing the game, the screen freezes, there is a buzz coming from speakers and after some seconds, the screen goes black while the computer apparen tly reboots. The thing is if I wait some time the screen won't detect the computer (It says no signal). Then when I press the power button, the computer shuts down and when I click again on the button, the computer starts normally. I already searched on the internet about this issue and ussually the problem is hardware. I contacted support to the store I bought the computer from and they said to make stress tests on the gpu and cpu. That is what I did. The problem didn'r reproduced even on high temperatures. The memory is also fine. I noticed in the event viewer that there is a critical error from kernel-power #41 saying the pc rebooted unexpectedly.

The system components are AMD Ryzen 7 2700, MSI RX Vega 56 8 GB and 16 GB ram.

Thank you in advance

Solution
Your bought what the GPU recommends to power your entire PC. This is inaccurate as I see it. Whatever wattage the GPU recommends should actually be considered the minimum. To meet the true recommended wattage, you double it by whatever is listed as "recommended". In your case, your true recommended wattage would be upwards of 1300, so I wouldn't have gotten anything less than 1,000, especially with your GPU being on the higher end. This is not to say that your power supply is the reason why it keeps rebooting while playing games, but I wouldn't be surprised. My old PC did the same thing, and my PSU had less wattage than yours. My PC hasn't rebooted ever since I replaced it with a 1250 watt PSU. Here is what my A+ certification...

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I only have bullguard anti-virus. The anti-virus have a game optimization feature

I'd still disable or uninstall it and see if that's the problem. I had an anti-virus program installed that claimed to be optimized for video games yet it was the very thing that kept crashing my computer. It was called 'Trend Micro' from what I recall. If this is found to be the issue, then I'd recommend you install 'malwarebytes' instead. It hasn't ever been reported to cause these issues and its one of the few programs that actually removes viruses for you, safely.

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

Is there any chance that if windows 10 in disk is corrupted, the issue I'm facing could happen? Today I got contacted by the shop I bought the pc from and they say to re install windows, which I already did.

Thanks

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hi,

Is there any chance that if windows 10 in disk is corrupted, the issue I'm facing could happen? Today I got contacted by the shop I bought the pc from and they say to re install windows, which I already did.

Thanks

Well, its possible but like you said, you already reinstalled it. Did you uninstall your antivirus program? Did it work?

Dec 10, 2019
Well, its possible but like you said, you already reinstalled it. Did you uninstall your antivirus program? Did it work?

I only reinstalled today. I didn't install the anti-virus after it. I also remember that in the beginning, before I installed my first game, the system had corrupted files. I tried to repair them but some were not possible. So with this reinstallation I hope the system is fine now. Only time will tell.

Thanks for your help.

Dec 10, 2019
Today the issue happened again. I downloaded driver easy and there was a device with a driver from 2016. The device is Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller. Can it be the cause?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Here is a screenshot of the moment of the crash

https://easyupload.io/rkgriz

Well it looks like you had a "critical" error (red x symbol) stating "kernal-power", meaning your system shut down unexpectedly, which can occur due to a few things like your components overheating or your power supply not doing its job correctly. What temperature is reported for your components while playing a game?

Dec 10, 2019
Well it looks like you had a "critical" error (red x symbol) stating "kernal-power", meaning your system shut down unexpectedly, which can occur due to a few things like your components overheating or your power supply not doing its job correctly.

It is unlikely my brand new PSU is faulty. I'm doing a gpu stress test to see the highest temp of the gpu and it never passes the max allowed 75 degrees celsius. As I'm doing the test I notice a little stuttering from the Gpu fan, is it normal?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
It is unlikely my brand new PSU is faulty. I'm doing a gpu stress test to see the highest temp of the gpu and it never passes the max allowed 75 degrees celsius. As I'm doing the test I notice a little stuttering from the Gpu fan, is it normal?

Stuttering? You mean its not spinning continuously? That almost almost sounds like a hardware issue, but your temperatures are still good nonetheless, so I'm not sure. What about CPU temperature? Another thing you might have to check is the thermal paste itself on both processors. There is a chance that it might not be any good, despite the reported temperatures. Your PC being pre-built always gives me cause for concern. I don't trust pre-built PC's at all, from anybody for a lot of reasons. I'll get back to you on the power supply.

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

Today I used GPU-Z to get a log of temperatures. While gaming a blue screen appeared saying there was an error and the pc should be shutdown. After that I had to hard reset. When I rebooted the last temperatures were 77 ºc which are a bit higher than the 75 ºc max allowed. I also got a event id 1001. I installed "WhoCrashed" program and I analyzed the the memory.dmp. It says the following:

On Thu 26/12/2019 11:17:33 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122619-8562-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x40DB5)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF87090A3B3080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x689C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFF87090A3B3080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0349781.inf_amd64_a9a51f30a2be0d77\B349558\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hi,

Today I used GPU-Z to get a log of temperatures. While gaming a blue screen appeared saying there was an error and the pc should be shutdown. After that I had to hard reset. When I rebooted the last temperatures were 77 ºc which are a bit higher than the 75 ºc max allowed. I also got a event id 1001. I installed "WhoCrashed" program and I analyzed the the memory.dmp. It says the following:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122619-8562-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x40DB5)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF87090A3B3080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x689C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFF87090A3B3080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0349781.inf_amd64_a9a51f30a2be0d77\B349558\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

The first file is related to Direct X software. You can try re-installing Direct X and see if that works. For the second one, I would try running a 'chkdsk' scan. You can run the scan through your command prompt interface, but I don't think doing it that way is necessary since the most straight forward way is to simply right click on your 'C' drive, go to 'properties', then 'tools', and click on the button that says 'check'. If this doesn't work, I'd try doing a clean install of your operating system next if you haven't already.

Your bought what the GPU recommends to power your entire PC. This is inaccurate as I see it. Whatever wattage the GPU recommends should actually be considered the minimum. To meet the true recommended wattage, you double it by whatever is listed as "recommended". In your case, your true recommended wattage would be upwards of 1300, so I wouldn't have gotten anything less than 1,000, especially with your GPU being on the higher end. This is not to say that your power supply is the reason why it keeps rebooting while playing games, but I wouldn't be surprised. My old PC did the same thing, and my PSU had less wattage than yours. My PC hasn't rebooted ever since I replaced it with a 1250 watt PSU. Here is what my A+ certification course taught you should do when selecting a power supply. Other A+ courses may claim differently.

2cb06d1327421652.jpg

Your interpretation of that learning material is inaccurate. The key point you're missing there is that the power requirements of the system must be CALCULATED by the technician building the computer. It says so right in the material you are quoting: "Calculate the combined wattage required by all the components in your system." The GPU manufacturer's wattage recommendation is a generous suggestion which is meant to cover the tamest build to the more extreme one - it's a one size fits all recommendation because the PSU manufacturer has no idea what the end user's build looks like. What you are doing is taking a number that is already pumped up and doubling it. Sorry, my friend, but it's the wrong way to do it and you are teaching others the wrong way to do it. The material also suggests doubling the wattage merely as standard practice, which some would also argue against. My system pulls 457 Watts max from the wall and is a Platinum rated 750W PSU. That means it's delivering max power of 420 Watts to an i7-8700k (95W) and a 2080 ti (250W stock, around 300W+ overclocked), amongst other components. The recommended PSU according to my Graphics Card manufacturer is 650W, so what you're saying is I need 1300W? That's definitely overkill. Besides, there is no SFX power supply delivering 1300W so it's just not possible in my build. Just check trusted reviews and buy quality. According to this review here at Tom's, my PSU can deliver up to 970W before shutting down: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf750-psu,5979-3.html

Solution
Dec 10, 2019
Well I don't see any rubber in my GPU, so not sure. Just try and remove it and see.

I send it back to the store where I bought it under RMA. It is safer to do that since it is under warranty. I was hoping someone could know what that thing was, the customer service of the store don't know either what it is.