Question PC keeps rebooting

Apr 2, 2019
so i bought i new gpu and my pc kept restarting so i changed the power supply with a better one and the problem was solved but today this issue happened once again and pc keeps restarting when i open games or stress test it
my specs are:
i5 4460
rx 470 8gb
be quiet system power 9 500 w bronze
gigabyte b85-hd3-a
please help me

Apr 2, 2019
so i bought i new gpu and my pc kept restarting so i changed the power supply with a better one and the problem was solved but today this issue happened once again and pc keeps restarting when i open games or stress test it
my specs are:
i5 4460
rx 470 8gb
be quiet system power 9 500 w bronze
gigabyte b85-hd3-a

Mar 6, 2019
I had the same problem as you, not only on games, also on desktop while listening to music or whatever. Your cpu is probably getting overheated and that causes the pc to reboot. What i did was clean the cpu and the cpu cooler making sure to take most of the dust from it (from the cooler), and clean the remains of the old thermal paste on both cpu and cpu cooler, then i re-applied the thermal paste with new one obviously and that solved the problem. You should try that, and if you don't have thermal paste you can get one on newegg or amazon, they're very cheap. If the problem remains, you should take a look to the temperature of the gpu, if it's very high, you should do the same thing, clean it and replace the thermal paste.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019
I had the same problem as you, not only on games, also on desktop while listening to music or whatever. Your cpu is probably getting overheated and that causes the pc to reboot. What i did was clean the cpu and the cpu cooler making sure to take most of the dust from it (from the cooler), and clean the remains of the old thermal paste on both cpu and cpu cooler, then i re-applied the thermal paste with new one obviously and that solved the problem. You should try that, and if you don't have thermal paste you can get one on newegg or amazon, they're very cheap. If the problem remains, you should take a look to the temperature of the gpu, if it's very high, you should do the same thing, clean it and replace the thermal paste.
ok i will try that but will need some help ive never replaced a thermal paste and im kinda scared but will ask a friend. but could it be for PCU alone because as i said i had the same problem before and when i underclock the GPU to the max the problem seems to be solved and everything runs fine except FPS because it is ....underclocked.

Apr 2, 2019
what are your temperatures under stress testing?
well i underclocked the GPU because this is the only it can run heavy games and stress test otherwise my pc is rebooting as i said in the title and my temp are pretty low somewhere between 35-40 because it is underclocked all the way and as soon as i set the stock clock my pc just restarts

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So the issue only occurred after you installed the new GPU, and continued even after you installed a new PSU?

Bets would be the GPU is faulty. Is it under warranty?
Have you ensured, double checked, and triple checked it's properly installed?

Apr 2, 2019
So the issue only occurred after you installed the new GPU, and continued even after you installed a new PSU?

Bets would be the GPU is faulty. Is it under warranty?
Have you ensured, double checked, and triple checked it's properly installed?
the issue occured after installing the new GPU because the PCU was crap and then i changed the PCU and ther problem was solved but a few days ago it happened again but i dont know the reason this time and yes i checked if everything is properly installed. the GPU was bought second-hand so no there is no warranty

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It still sounds more likely that the GPU is faulty even if random reboots are usually indicative of PSU issues...
Can you run without the GPU to test to see if the reboots occur?

Generally random reboots are a PSU/Power issue - but the fact that it seemed to only start occuring after a GPU change. Was the new PSU bought off the shelf or second hand?

Apr 2, 2019
It still sounds more likely that the GPU is faulty even if random reboots are usually indicative of PSU issues...
Can you run without the GPU to test to see if the reboots occur?

Generally random reboots are a PSU/Power issue - but the fact that it seemed to only start occuring after a GPU change. Was the new PSU bought off the shelf or second hand?
Well the last time when my pc kept RESTARTING was before I change the PCU I suspected that it was the GPU at fault then I went to my friend's to test it there and it turned out that the GPU runs normally without any issues so we concluded it was the PCU problem because my old PCU from zalman zm 700w wasnt giving it enough power and it wasnt realiable then I changed it with a brand new PCU and everything was ok for 2 months and keep in mind these reboots in heavy games such as the witcher 3 mass effect andromenda and etc if I don't open them everything is completely normal

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019
Ah understood. Gotcha.

What temperatures are you reaching when you game?
Do you have any logs in the windows event viewer that may indicate why it's restarted?
before the problem appeared i reached temps about 55-60 somewhere there on the gpu
and no i dont have any logs the pc just restarts without any warning

Apr 2, 2019
The CPU temps are good as well I tested the system yesterday and cpu temps were about 60 if I remember correctly somewhere about there
I don't have ANY notifications about poweloss or why the pc is restarting the pc just shuts off and that's it

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Equally do you have latest drivers?

I think I'm not saying what I mean accurately. If you go onto start > event viewer > windows logs > system - what critical errors do you see?
If this is what you have already done, I apologise - just making sure everything is covered.

Perfectly possible to have a faulty reset / power switch too - but don't have to jump to that straight away.
Have you tried running on integrated graphics and seeing if you still encounter the reset?
Still sounds like it's more likely your GPU or PSU.

Apr 2, 2019
Everything was on the latest drivers and updates and I reinstalled the Windows (I don't know if I shouldn't) but now there are some errors I checked them but none of them was about power loss or something like that. I haven't tried to run on a iGPU but more likely it will run fine because this doesn't require that much power but now when I try to open some programs like visicual c 2013 it says my pc cant run it

Apr 2, 2019
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Equally do you have latest drivers?

I think I'm not saying what I mean accurately. If you go onto start > event viewer > windows logs > system - what critical errors do you see?
If this is what you have already done, I apologise - just making sure everything is covered.

Perfectly possible to have a faulty reset / power switch too - but don't have to jump to that straight away.
Have you tried running on integrated graphics and seeing if you still encounter the reset?
Still sounds like it's more likely your GPU or PSU.
Update: I fixed the issues with "this app cant run on this PC" but there are still errors in the event viewer which I don't know why they are there the PC is clean reinstalled there shouldn't be any errors anywhere

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
cool room and box fan i have an fx cpu thermal paste dose little good and its not the gpu its the cpu getting hot your game is useing cc or dx software that hits the cpu but not the gpu gpu is dx hardware and vulkin but they dont hit the cpu the fx family are extreamly fast but they also get very hot mine is stable after i kept tower cover off and have a box fan blow in cool air it is reconmender to use a water cooler on these cpus and higher like ryzans rather or not it solves the issue idk but i do know its a pain to deal with as u have to refill the water and have to be very careful under clocking a gpu dose change vauls on how hard your cpu works to process gpu textures for your gpu cc opt

Apr 2, 2019
cool room and box fan i have an fx cpu thermal paste dose little good and its not the gpu its the cpu getting hot your game is useing cc or dx software that hits the cpu but not the gpu gpu is dx hardware and vulkin but they dont hit the cpu the fx family are extreamly fast but they also get very hot mine is stable after i kept tower cover off and have a box fan blow in cool air it is reconmender to use a water cooler on these cpus and higher like ryzans rather or not it solves the issue idk but i do know its a pain to deal with as u have to refill the water and have to be very careful under clocking a gpu dose change vauls on how hard your cpu works to process gpu textures for your gpu cc opt
So it's a temperature issue? I Will be getting my pc inspected by a pro because I've had enough of this yesterday I had a very important match and my pc restarted in the most important moment of the game and I lost a won game

just because you changed the PSU does not guarantee it (the new/different PSU) is handling the load....(yes, it seems unlikely, but, a different/new PSU is not the same thing as a known good one...

It's also possible your MB is incapable of supplying the approximately 60 watts thru the PCI-e slot that the GPU requires...

The PSU you are using may even work fine elsewhere...; likewise the MB might work fine with a different GPU, and/or a different PSU...

bignastyid

Titan

Why are you talking about an AMD FX? The OP has an Intel i5. The i5 4460 is also a locked cpu and absolutely does not need liquid cooling. The FX family is also not "extremely fast" in fact in most games they can get beaten by dual core cpus because of the FX's poor single threaded performance.

Your posts are barely intelligible and what is is often poor advice boarding on troll like. I suggest you take a step back and re-evaluate, because the path you are on now won't end well.

Apr 2, 2019
Yes my temps are ok I got my pc inspected by a pro and he said my psu is failing and said I need a new one so if someone recommend me a high quality for about 50-60$ I will appreciate it

Apr 2, 2019
Hi, can you guys recommend me a good quality PSU for a "gaming" pc because mine is failing and need new one and to be cheap if possible
My specs are
I5 4460
RX 470 8gb
8 gb ram
B85-HD3-A