Question PC Keeps Reseting (black screen) Help!

Feb 4, 2020
As the title says need some help
Basically over the last few weeks had some problems with my PC just resetting into a black screen - this seems to be happening randomly either in game (monitor based or VR games) and also when the computer has been left idle - its random but often the PC will ramp up the fans then the power just seems to be cut and I get a black screen - reset the PC and it boots up again ok...……..

In the event log everytime it happens get a kernel power 41 critical error (but this really doesn't explain much) - when have googled the error says it can be the sign of PSU needing replaced.

Note back ground to the PC is that its running a i7 6700 and middle of last year upgraded the GPU to a 2080ti - this was running ok - then had some problems getting the PC to update to the latest version of WIn10 - however did a CMOS battery reset and eventually the machine did an auto update to the lastest ver of Win 10 - however since then have started getting these random resets ….

Tried all the normal firmware and BIOS updates, memory tests and GPU driver reinstall but still getting the resets with no problem components being identified (note when I get them the GPU is not always under load although usually the fans ramp up before power is cut).

Any help appreciated...… current thinking is to replace the PSU (although current one is 750w Corsair RM750) so should in theory be good enough to power everything...…? - can try and attach some HWInfo logs if it might help......

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the version of your OS and the version of BIOS you're working with for your motherboard. Include the age of the PSU and the GPU prior to the GTX2080Ti.

To note, did you try removing your GPU drivers using DDU and then reinstalling your drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site? If you do want to rule out a faulty/failing PSU, you will need to source an equally reliably built, branded 650W PSU for your system. Breadboard the system and then try the donor PSU.

Feb 4, 2020
CPU: 6700 i7
Motherboard: Asus ROG Hero VIII
Ram: 32GB Corsair
SSD/HDD: x3 SDD's and x1 HDD
GPU: 2080Ti
PSU: Corsair RMI750
Chassis: Corsair Box

include the version of your OS (latest Win10 installed) and the version of BIOS (latest version of BIOS installed) you're working with for your motherboard. Include the age of the PSU and the GPU prior to the GTX2080Ti.

To note, did you try removing your GPU drivers using DDU and then reinstalling your drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site?(Yes already did this and still the resets happen) If you do want to rule out a faulty/failing PSU, you will need to source an equally reliably built, branded 650W PSU for your system. Breadboard the system and then try the donor PSU.

Answers above in bold - yes I can source a new 1000W Corsair PSU easily - however before I spent the money just wanted to check if anyone had any better suggestions about how to resolve this? ( note while I am now 60/70% convinced its the PSU - either faulty or not enough Watts for the setup) guessing there might be other issues that might cause this kind of behaviour.........;.?