[SOLVED] Pc Keeps restarting and suddenly started running games at low fps

Feb 16, 2019
My pc which i have had for over a year with no problems, able to run every game i own from Destiny 2 to Rainbow six siege etc, at high fps (over 100 consistently), has been restarting mid game for about 2 weeks, but within the last 2 days has started running games at around 34 fps max.

I have taken it apart, found what i thought could be a cause of the restarts (cpu fan clip had broken so full pressure was not applied which might have caused overheating) so bought a new unit and replaced it, this did not fix the issue. I have tried all of the things that most people recommend.

Specs are:
CPU: I5 6600k
GPU: RX 480
MOBO: Msi Z170A Tomahawk
RAM: 8GB corsair single stick
PSU: 550W Corsair

Any other info needed i can provide.
Thanks in advance anyone for reading and trying to help.

Solution
My pc which i have had for over a year with no problems, able to run every game i own from Destiny 2 to Rainbow six siege etc, at high fps (over 100 consistently), has been restarting mid game for about 2 weeks, but within the last 2 days has started running games at around 34 fps max.

I have taken it apart, found what i thought could be a cause of the restarts (cpu fan clip had broken so full pressure was not applied which might have caused overheating) so bought a new unit and replaced it, this did not fix the issue. I have tried all of the things that most people recommend.

Specs are:

Thanks...

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Specs are:

Thanks in advance anyone for reading and trying to help.

Keeps restarting without or with BSD?
If no BSD, and you have swapped the GPU without any changes, the primary suspect would be your PSU.

Solution
Feb 16, 2019
CPU and GPU temps under load? You can find out with something like HWMonitor. This sounds like overheating to me, a throttling CPU or GPU will reduce performance and if they got hot enough they could trigger a thermal shutdown

Not sure if exact temp and can’t check right now but will do asap, i know they are safe and well under what the maximum under load should be, will double check for an exact figure though

D

Deleted member 14196

So have you ruled out the CPU being the problem? If the cooler had become detached even a little and it overheated it could’ve damaged the CPU

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
So have you ruled out the CPU being the problem? If the cooler had become detached even a little and it overheated it could’ve damaged the CPU
Faulty cpu´s rarely results in partial functionality without BSD´s. If the cpu was damaged the sheer number of wrong instructions etc would result in numerous BSD´s or audio alert when posting.

D

Deleted member 14196

Faulty cpu´s rarely results in partial functionality without BSD´s. If the cpu was damaged the sheer number of wrong instructions etc would result in numerous BSD´s or audio alert when posting.

Rarely yes but it does happen and I’ve seen it twice at work already where the computer just won’t boot and it was the CPU both times. You are probably correct because he said it’s running

InvalidError

Titan
One of my friends bricked his i7-2600k's motherboard and I couldn't manage to un-brick it because the flash chips were dead - couldn't get them to hold programming without errors. Tried putting new chips in but none of the images I tried got beyond initial POST for some reason, may be related to why the original flash chips died. He gave me his old MoBo+CPU+RAM for me to do whatever I want to do with for my trouble.

I tried putting his i7-2600k on my h77 motherboard. Seemed to work fine except my PC always crashed every 3-5 days. With my i5-3470, my PC can run for however many months until I decide to restart for updates. Just shows that there are some CPU defects that may have a pretty low incidence rate such that you may believe the system is table based on short-term observation but find out it actually isn't over the course of a few days or weeks.