Question Pc keeps restarting under load, not overheating

Monokonos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014
Hello!

So for about a couple weeks now I have had an issue with my computer crashing and restarting while playing games or even running tests. There is no sound or picture stuttering and no blue screen. Just a straight restart. Running the "power" test in OCCT always results in a crash at different times. Taking out my GPU eliminates the crashing so it should either be it or the PSU? What is weird to me is that the crashes start / become more frequent after some use, so I would have guessed something is overheating but no, my GPU barely reaches 60C before the crash happens. I shouldn't be voltage locked either as speccy did not show any power stats in negatives. I am about to change my PSU but I want to be absolutely sure that it is the problem since I really do not have any money to waste.

What makes me doubt is the fact that I can run some demanding games for hours when the PC is just booted up, so it shouldn't be a PSU issue, because it is able to supply the required voltage then? Is IT the part that keeps overheating due to being dead?

Specs:
i5 4690k
GTX 970 100million edition
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming-5 motherboard
Seasonic S12G 650W 80plus gold
Windows 10 pro
Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB DDR3
NZXT H510 case
Samsung SSD 870EVO 500GB

Check the Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System just to make sure there weren't any BugCheck events. The default behavior for a BSOD is to immediately restart once it creates a dump (which may also be disabled for some reason).

Otherwise if taking the video card out of the picture resolved this problem, then it's either that or the PSU. And if you're worried about money, make sure you're purchasing from a place with a good return policy.