[SOLVED] PC keeps restarting when idling

Jan 23, 2021
This has been going on for a couple of days now, and I still haven't found a fix for it. I got a new motherboard, ram, and cpu, and all of a sudden my PC restarts constantly, it wont download stuff, wont uninstall anything. Please help, cuz im losing my patience.

My build:
i5-8600k
z370 ultra gaming 2.0
16gb titanZ
gtxx 1050ti

Solution
fresh as in you formatted the hard drive during the install?
or fresh as in you kept all the old stuff and threw windows on top of the old?

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software -...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
with your new hardware did you re-install windows?
if not swapping a motherboard is a HUGE software hit to windows. the motherboard is many devices and drivers subsystems and windows is just dealing with the old settings.
I suggest a clean install from fresh media when swapping a motherboard. backup any needed data or program data first.

Jan 23, 2021
with your new hardware did you re-install windows?
if not swapping a motherboard is a HUGE software hit to windows. the motherboard is many devices and drivers subsystems and windows is just dealing with the old settings.
I suggest a clean install from fresh media when swapping a motherboard. backup any needed data or program data first.
i booted from my USB flash drive with windows on it, then I did a fresh install of windows.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

you said reboods when idle AND cannot download and will not uninstall. this decouples the restarts from the PSU as the culprit, the PSU would not stop the downloading or the uninstalling which leaves windows itself (software) or the RAM has an issue. its worth testing the RAM at any rate.

Solution
Jan 23, 2021

Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

you said reboods when idle AND cannot download and will not uninstall. this decouples the restarts from the PSU as the culprit, the PSU would not stop the downloading or the uninstalling which leaves windows itself (software) or the RAM has an issue. its worth testing the RAM at any rate.
okay thank you so much. I know it isn't the PSU because I bought mine completely new. it shouldn't be the ram, but I will test that. as far as the downloads go, I've been trying to download utilities from my motherboard's support page, but they just won't install.

okay thank you so much. I know it isn't the PSU because I bought mine completely new. it shouldn't be the ram, but I will test that. as far as the downloads go, I've been trying to download utilities from my motherboard's support page, but they just won't install.
A new psu does not mean it works.
Test the ram for a few hours and make sure that functions.
Was the w10 install a CLEAN install?
What do you mean by mobo utilities and won't install?

Jan 23, 2021
A new psu does not mean it works.
Test the ram for a few hours and make sure that functions.
Was the w10 install a CLEAN install?
What do you mean by mobo utilities and won't install?
no it was not a clean install. and I go to my motherboard's support page. I click utilities, and I go to download RGB fusion. it tells me to download C++ 2015 (x86) despite me already having it. the download for that fails, then the download for RGB fusion fails.

no it was not a clean install. and I go to my motherboard's support page. I click utilities, and I go to download RGB fusion. it tells me to download C++ 2015 (x86) despite me already having it. the download for that fails, then the download for RGB fusion fails.
Give some thought to starting over.
Do a clean install of w10.
Get the latest bios....non-beta......and chipset driver.
Then start building up.