Question PC keeps restarting when loading game?

b.c.gaming212

Reputable
May 3, 2019
My PC recently started to restart by itself when loading ATS. It loaded the day before and I added some mods to it and everything was fine. The next day I started it up it took longer than normal but I just figured because mods and my slow hard drive. But the monitor went black and PC shut down and turned back on. A kept trying to load it. A couple days before this a updated my nvidia drivers but I played right after that and it worked so I'm not sure. 3-4 months earlier I upgraded PSU and GPU but is used PSU calculator and my PSU is enough watts and is 80+ so I don't know. Is it my GPU, PSU, is something like CPU overheating because of dust? I even checked all cables and pins seems to be good though is it a software or virus? I really don't know I've been trying to figure this out all day but no luck.

Specs:
Intel i5 7400 4 cores 3.0 - 3.5 ghz
GTX 1080 8gb
Toshiba DT01ACA200
16gb XPG Z1 DDR4 2400mhz
EVGA 600w 80+
ASRock B250M Pro4-IB

If there is any other specs you need ask but these are the important ones.

For me, it would be your PSU. What exact model. If it's just a restart where the PC just shuts down without explanation and begins to boot up again, it's most likely the PSUI. If it was memory or something else you would have a BSOD or something.

80+ doesn't mean much. But most EVGA units are decent, with some much better than others. Look out for a decent EVGA G2/G3 650w, or a Seasonic Focus PLus 650w as a replacement. Your PSU sounds like it's dying. If you keep using it you could fry some components. Getting a replacement is a good idea.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-23 15:14 EDT-0400

It will serve you well, and last you for your next build :)

b.c.gaming212

Reputable
May 3, 2019
Well today when I wasn't gaming it shut off and all the other times was when I was gaming does his mean something else is causing it or? Also I played a couple games today and only did it that one time unlike the other day it was doing it every time. I really hope its software and not PSU because I don't feel like replacing it.

Model: 100-W1-0600-K1

Note: When it shut off today it was actually a power outage because all my other technology was restarting.

Last edited:
It will shut of randomly, and it really depends on what load the PSU is under. Some stuff won't push it to restart, other gaming loads might do. You will find that it will happen more and more to the point of potentially damaging components, or being unusable.

No-one necessarily wants to replace hardware, but in this case I believe you should.

Keeping up good house keeping protocol will help the life of your hardware and keep temps lower. It's good practice to clean regularly. A couple of times a year.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Again, agree with keith12.

The shutdown happening randomly and even when the PC is not under heavy load (such as gaming) is yet another indicator that the PSU is failing.

If there's another PSU available to use a few days you can make quite sure that your current PSU is failing.

I too would stop running the system with that PSU, it might totally fail anytime and take other components with it, more vulnerable parts to PSU failure being the motherboard and the graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS