[SOLVED] PC keeps restarting when playing any game [Windows 10]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2019
Hey guys so I just recently built my own pc. im a noob so I did what I could to install drivers and windows 10 upon playing a couple of games my monitor would just go blank and i can see my pc shut and turn on again - and back to my home screen. Can anyone please help me? ive went into event viewer on windows and seen some error but I dont know exactly what they mean, should i take my pc to a computer shop pls help thank you!

p.s its been happening for a couple of days and im going crazy lol

specs:
z390 gigabyte ud mb
corsair 16 gb ram
600 w evga PSU
rtx 2060 gaming z gpu
intel i5 9600k
cooler master 212 cpu fan
Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
yes, there are programs that can automatically download drivers for you and check if they are updated / compatible. just search them online .
okay thank you ill give it a shot, ill update as soon as im done thanks!
Just for the record, I'd avoid any driver updater softwares like the plague. They have a notorious habit of installing incorrect or outright inappropriate drivers. Myself and a few others on here help with BSOD posts and quite often driver updater software can be behind it.

Just stick to downloading straight from the manufacturers website and if you have installed a driver updater software, personally I'd uninstall it and not use it. Fortunate thing is Driver Booster, whilst still just as bad, does usually...
Hey so I noticed that when my pc reboots one of my RAM sticks turns off, i took that RAM stick off and so far from good days and hours of gameplay my pc has not been shutting down at all.
Install a single stick of RAM in the correct slot and run memtest86 for a few passes. If successful, swap in other stick and repeat. If successful install single stick in other slot and test a few passes. It's either a faulty stick or failing slot.

Oct 4, 2019
Install a single stick of RAM in the correct slot and run memtest86 for a few passes. If successful, swap in other stick and repeat. If successful install single stick in other slot and test a few passes. It's either a faulty stick or failing slot.
yea im guessing its a failing slot because I ran memtest on both sticks and both came out without any errors, might just have to replace the mobo. i will try your recommendation right now. thank you very much

Oct 4, 2019
UGHH, so the ram was the problem lol. Have you did any ram benchmark before and how did u realized that one of the sticks turn off,maybe I might have the same problem even though my PC its working now. :p
yea so basically I have rgb sticks, when the pc turned off the rgb went off so i was like wtf. i went into my icue program which allows me to see if my RAM is working and also went on my control panel and only 1 was working so once I took it out and left that 1 ram stick in I have not experienced any reboots. sorry for the late reply lol. Also I do think its my RAM slot, i tested my RAM sticks before and no errors on either one so i think the slot on the mobo is at fault. I do remember kind of ramming my stick in that slot so :ROFLMAO:

Sep 10, 2019
yea so basically I have rgb sticks, when the pc turned off the rgb went off so i was like wtf. i went into my icue program which allows me to see if my RAM is working and also went on my control panel and only 1 was working so once I took it out and left that 1 ram stick in I have not experienced any reboots. sorry for the late reply lol. Also I do think its my RAM slot, i tested my RAM sticks before and no errors on either one so i think the slot on the mobo is at fault. I do remember kind of ramming my stick in that slot so :ROFLMAO:
Oh wow one of the biggest advantages of having RGB ram sticks. FFS,my pc keeps freezing now and I need to restart the system myself in order for it to work again. I think it might be because of the new PSU. Do you have any idea what it might be the cause of the freezing issue?
Sorry for the late reply..

Oct 4, 2019
Oh wow one of the biggest advantages of having RGB ram sticks. FFS,my pc keeps freezing now and I need to restart the system myself in order for it to work again. I think it might be because of the new PSU. Do you have any idea what it might be the cause of the freezing issue?
Sorry for the late reply..
Has that just started when you installed the new PSU? and when it freezes how far does your PC get? are you able to see the home screen? can you run a game?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
yes, there are programs that can automatically download drivers for you and check if they are updated / compatible. just search them online .
okay thank you ill give it a shot, ill update as soon as im done thanks!
Just for the record, I'd avoid any driver updater softwares like the plague. They have a notorious habit of installing incorrect or outright inappropriate drivers. Myself and a few others on here help with BSOD posts and quite often driver updater software can be behind it.

Just stick to downloading straight from the manufacturers website and if you have installed a driver updater software, personally I'd uninstall it and not use it. Fortunate thing is Driver Booster, whilst still just as bad, does usually run a system restore first, so at least it's recoverable.

yea im guessing its a failing slot because I ran memtest on both sticks and both came out without any errors, might just have to replace the mobo. i will try your recommendation right now. thank you very much
So have you confirmed that it is one slot regardless as to what stick it is in?
If so, you may want to inspect your CPU / Socket for bent pins for example, or the pressure from your CPU cooler to the CPU as this can cause RAM slots to fault :)

Solution
Sep 10, 2019
Has that just started when you installed the new PSU? and when it freezes how far does your PC get? are you able to see the home screen? can you run a game?
Yeah,it started since I installed the new PSU and it happens randomly no matter if I play a game or not.
It just freezes and I can't do anything I tried to press several key commands like ctrl+alt+delete but it ain't working,the only solution was to press the restart button from the case.
So far I've read that windows+ctrl+shift+B resets the video card's driver and it might turn everything back to normal when my screen freezes next time.

Oct 4, 2019
Yeah,it started since I installed the new PSU and it happens randomly no matter if I play a game or not.
It just freezes and I can't do anything I tried to press several key commands like ctrl+alt+delete but it ain't working,the only solution was to press the restart button from the case.
So far I've read that windows+ctrl+shift+B resets the video card's driver and it might turn everything back to normal when my screen freezes next time.
have you updated your window? also, are you able to open your event viewer and see what was latest error under applications?

Oct 4, 2019

Just stick to downloading straight from the manufacturers website and if you have installed a driver updater software, personally I'd uninstall it and not use it. Fortunate thing is Driver Booster, whilst still just as bad, does usually run a system restore first, so at least it's recoverable.

So have you confirmed that it is one slot regardless as to what stick it is in?
If so, you may want to inspect your CPU / Socket for bent pins for example, or the pressure from your CPU cooler to the CPU as this can cause RAM slots to fault :)
Yes so it is the slot I have yet to inspect it. but whenever I have time I will see if there is any bent pins on my cpu. thank you very much!

Sep 10, 2019
have you updated your window? also, are you able to open your event viewer and see what was latest error under applications?
Actually since I pressed that combo of ctrl+win key+shift+B the screen never froze again. I think it was happening because the driver wasn't used with the PSU or something like this...idk.
I have another problem though, I can't update the windows I'm always receiving this error: "There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80080005)".
Do you know any repairing tool software that might detect problems with the OS ?