Question Pc keeps restarting with GPU heavy tasks. Benchmark and games

Jan 13, 2023
So my pc just keeps restarting everytime I do those tasks. CPU can be tested and stressed no crashes but GPU just restarts pc. Tried everything alr like new bios. Reseat. Reinstalled windows. Also tried limiting power with MSI afterburner to 58 nothing still works. Please help I bought a PSU already but could it really be PSU?? ( PSU getting delivered In a bit)

Plsfixmypc21, please list full specs (ALL components), including the mfg. , model, & age of your current power supply, and those of the one that you just ordered. How long have you owned this PC, and how long ago did this problem start? Did you make any changes in your hardware around the time that the problem started? What application did you use to stress test your CPU and what was the maximum CPU temperature recorded during the test, and at idle? Please take two photos: (1) Picture of the PSU's label on it's side, showing the voltage table, and (2) Picture of the entire inside of your build. That picture should span from the front case fans to the rear fan, and all components in-between. Then upload those two photos to imgur and share the link here please. Also, in your listing of specs, please include the brand and model of your graphics card, and mention if you used a vertical GPU mount riser cable or any 3rd party PSU cables or adapters.

Addendum: And in answer to your direct question: Yes, it could very possibly be your PSU. I had a EVGA P2 850 reboot from simply updating Fortnite in the Epic launcher, and the issue was repeatable; I wasn't even gaming. The rig only had to power a Ryzen 5 2600 / GTX 1660 Ti, and yet it was reboot with a Super Flower OEM / platinum efficiency / 850 watt PSU. A new replacement under the 12 year warranty, absolutely resolved the issue. I look forward to your response, and I'm sorry that you're currently going through this. Sounds stressful.

Jan 13, 2023
Plsfixmypc21, please list full specs (ALL components), including the mfg. , model, & age of your current power supply, and those of the one that you just ordered. How long have you owned this PC, and how long ago did this problem start? Did you make any changes in your hardware around the time that the problem started? What application did you use to stress test your CPU and what was the maximum CPU temperature recorded during the test, and at idle? Please take two photos: (1) Picture of the PSU's label on it's side, showing the voltage table, and (2) Picture of the entire inside of your build. That picture should span from the front case fans to the rear fan, and all components in-between. Then upload those two photos to imgur and share the link here please. Also, in your listing of specs, please include the brand and model of your graphics card, and mention if you used a vertical GPU mount riser cable or any 3rd party PSU cables or adapters.

Addendum: And in answer to your direct question: Yes, it could very possibly be your PSU. I had a EVGA P2 850 reboot from simply updating Fortnite in the Epic launcher, and the issue was repeatable; I wasn't even gaming. The rig only had to power a Ryzen 5 2600 / GTX 1660 Ti, and yet it was reboot with a Super Flower OEM / platinum efficiency / 850 watt PSU. A new replacement under the 12 year warranty, absolutely resolved the issue. I look forward to your response, and I'm sorry that you're currently going through this. Sounds stressful.
Thanks for replying and yes it is kinda stressful as I'm a content creator for roblox (even though its just roblox I have to have a stable pc when streaming) I also feel relieved that your problem got resolved by a new psu. also I would like to mention that in my area there are tons of brownouts that happen. I owned the pc for 4 months now I think. and it came pre built but there was no issues in the entire 4 months. no changes really besides changing houses but even then there was no issues like this after we moved houses and it has been 1 month since then. Psu is a Seasonic S12III 650W I think?? Also as for temps not even going above 80 max temp I used to use furmark but now I use octane bench and cine bench. also never overclocked it I will send pics that you requested in a bit.. but I thank you for replying :)

KyaraM

Admirable
Thanks for replying and yes it is kinda stressful as I'm a content creator for roblox (even though its just roblox I have to have a stable pc when streaming) I also feel relieved that your problem got resolved by a new psu. also I would like to mention that in my area there are tons of brownouts that happen. I owned the pc for 4 months now I think. and it came pre built but there was no issues in the entire 4 months. no changes really besides changing houses but even then there was no issues like this after we moved houses and it has been 1 month since then. Psu is a Seasonic S12III 650W I think?? Also as for temps not even going above 80 max temp I used to use furmark but now I use octane bench and cine bench. also never overclocked it I will send pics that you requested in a bit.. but I thank you for replying :)
Sounds like the brownouts might also be the possible issue. I think I read something about that before. If the PSU doesn't fix things, maybe adding an UPS might help? Someone more knowledgeable about this than me would need to say something about this. Else, I guess the only thing to do would be moving to a place without brownouts, but I assume that is not an option.

Jan 13, 2023
Sounds like the brownouts might also be the possible issue. I think I read something about that before. If the PSU doesn't fix things, maybe adding an UPS might help? Someone more knowledgeable about this than me would need to say something about this. Else, I guess the only thing to do would be moving to a place without brownouts, but I assume that is not an option.
Yeah its not an option and I do have a UPS but its not that good I might change the UPS though to something more high quality. PSU coming in a few days so I will probably check back here when It gets here cus honestly.. I dont have gpu issues or cpu issues only issues rn is that it cant maintain too high power load like 110-130W for too long it instantly restarts. and I mean the restart aint weird its jsut a restart. its not a black screen where you can still hear stuff from the pc its just restart so I think its probably the PSU. HOPEFULLY

KyaraM

Admirable
Yeah its not an option and I do have a UPS but its not that good I might change the UPS though to something more high quality. PSU coming in a few days so I will probably check back here when It gets here cus honestly.. I dont have gpu issues or cpu issues only issues rn is that it cant maintain too high power load like 110-130W for too long it instantly restarts. and I mean the restart aint weird its jsut a restart. its not a black screen where you can still hear stuff from the pc its just restart so I think its probably the PSU. HOPEFULLY
Hmmm, what do temperatures say when that happens? Can you check?

Jan 13, 2023
Hmmm, what do temperatures say when that happens? Can you check?
highest temps I got when benchmarking on furmark was 72 and my pc can still crash at 50. ALSO I checked hwinfo and I noticed that pc cant handle like 100W for a very long time I can keep the pc on for hours as long as it dont have high power consumption

Jan 13, 2023
I would remove the video card if you have an onboard video. Run a benchmark program with a stress test and see how it goes.
I would remove the video card if you have an onboard video. Run a benchmark program with a stress test and see how it goes.
It appears that psu fixed the problem but since the psu isn't modular though cable management was bad. I had 30 extra cables I had to put in. and since im a newbie I decided to simply not put the 30 extra cables I had and just settle with having both front panel and back/side panel removed. it works now though im probably gonna buy a modular psu since im building a pc for my dad soon im gonna take this psu off of mine in like 2 months and get cable managemet on my dads pc and just get a modular one which would make things way way way easier

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. So the new PSU is the Seasonic S12III 650? FYI: I happen to have the 550 watt variant of that model line on my shelf, as a cheapie backup, Do you remember what the old one was? Also, I'm curious what your system specs are, or at a minimum the CPU and GPU. I'm glad that your issue appears to be resolved. How much money do you think you'd be willing to invest in a new modular power supply?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Yeah, I suspected the power supply. Those video cards draw a lot of power. I use EVGA modular power supplies. 10 year warranty on mine. That talks...

Last edited by a moderator: