[SOLVED] PC keeps shutting down and restarting ?

Nov 8, 2022
hey all,
not sure if this is the right forum but here I go.

been having some trouble setting up pc, its my first build. got everything built, updated the BIOS, updated all the drivers. seemed to be running ok. but when I try loading up a game it crashes and restarts. its as if the power got cut and then it turns back on. runs a low end game on min graphic settings but as soon as I turn the quality up same thing again. guessed it was either the PSU or GPU. tried uninstalling GPU and all its drivers then tried reinstalling, same thing. checked connections all seemed ok. turned off windows automatic restart.

runs cinebench back to back no problem, crashes during heaven benchmark almost as soon as it starts. CPU temps are averaging 45-50c. GPU staying at around 38-45c.

tried restarting with each individual ram no go there. I'm running a MSI GeForce RTX 3090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC Video Card on a MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard. im also using a Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz CPU and my power supply is a MSI MPG A850GF 850 W 80+ Gold. tried reinstalling windows no luck. didn't go second hand for any of the parts. not really sure what else I can do.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

tried uninstalling GPU and all its drivers then tried reinstalling, same thing.
Can you walk us through how you did so?

tried reinstalling windows no luck.
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what OS are you on?

BIOS version at this moment of time? Try and borrow(not buy) a 1.5KW reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor to see if the issue persists. Also, what game are you taxing the system/GPU with?

Nov 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

tried uninstalling GPU and all its drivers then tried reinstalling, same thing.
Can you walk us through how you did so?

tried reinstalling windows no luck.
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what OS are you on?

BIOS version at this moment of time? Try and borrow(not buy) a 1.5KW reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor to see if the issue persists. Also, what game are you taxing the system/GPU with?
taxing the system on almost everything, testing with avorion because it works on the lowest graphic settings but when i turn it up the power cuts. BIOS version is 7D25v192 . using windows 10, installed with the windows creation tool. installed all mother board drivers from the disc, just updated BIOS through MSI. uninstalled GPU from device manager. then reinstalled through nvidia. unfortunately nowhere i can get a PSU, few friends are looking to start building but i took the plunge first. also tried physically removing the GPU and reinstalling it still no luck.

Last edited:
runs cinebench back to back no problem, crashes during heaven benchmark almost as soon as it starts. CPU temps are averaging 45-50c. GPU staying at around 38-45c.
Does it crash on any CPU only benchmarks, does it only crash when the GPU is loaded? My first instinct is PSU causing the problem. Do you have an old Nvidia GPU you could try to see if the shut downs disappear?

Nov 8, 2022
Does it crash on any CPU only benchmarks, does it only crash when the GPU is loaded? My first instinct is PSU causing the problem. Do you have an old Nvidia GPU you could try to see if the shut downs disappear?
no runs CPU benchmark back to back no problem. first build so i dont have any old parts unfortunately. dont know if this would cause it but i have the stock intel cooling fan installed while im waiting on the mounting brackets for the other one, but i noticed the heatsink is lying on top of some the capacitors. recommended PSU for the GPU is 750 so i should be producing enough power with the 850.

no runs CPU benchmark back to back no problem. first build so i dont have any old parts unfortunately. dont know if this would cause it but i have the stock intel cooling fan installed while im waiting on the mounting brackets for the other one, but i noticed the heatsink is lying on top of some the capacitors.
I wouldn't of thought so no, the stock fan though is wholly inadequate for the i7 12700 without strict power limits in place. Overheating can cause shutdowns, however the fact you can run Cinebench suggests that's probably not the issue. I don't suppose you know what your max CPU temp is? High end GPU's can have momentary spikes where they draw far more than their rated power consumption. This triggers the OCP protection in the PSU causing them to shutdown.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

That could potentially be your issue. Also how did you plug in your GPU, are you using separate cables going to the PSU or have you daisy chained them?

Nov 8, 2022
I wouldn't of thought so no, the stock fan though is wholly inadequate for the i7 12700 without strict power limits in place. Overheating can cause shutdowns, however the fact you can run Cinebench suggests that's probably not the issue. I don't suppose you know what your max CPU temp is? High end GPU's can have momentary spikes where they draw far more than their rated power consumption. This triggers the OCP protection in the PSU causing them to shutdown.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

That could potentially be your issue. Also how did you plug in your GPU, are you using separate cables going to the PSU or have you daisy chained them?
using two 6+2 pin connectors for the GPU. CPU hit 100 during cinebench then dropped right back down to 69. is there any power moniter software i can get to check if its spiking before crash. do i need more power then? if so about how much

Last edited:
using two 6+2 pin connectors for the GPU. CPU hit 100 during cinebench then dropped right back down to 69. is there any power moniter software i can get to check if its spiking before crash. do i need more power then? if so about how much
Ok well 100C is far too high, if it reaches above that then that could also be the cause of your cut outs rather than transient spikes on the GPU. I would probably test the CPU with a more powerful cooler before you take drastic action elsewhere. In terms of monitoring transient spikes I'm not sure if there is software to do that. If it were to be the cause of your issue then yes you would need a beefier PSU. I take it this is 2 x 6+2 pin connectors on separate cables. Not a single cable with 2 x 6+2 pin connectors?

Reactions: deluts
Nov 8, 2022
Ok well 100C is far too high, if it reaches above that then that could also be the cause of your cut outs rather than transient spikes on the GPU. I would probably test the CPU with a more powerful cooler before you take drastic action elsewhere. In terms of monitoring transient spikes I'm not sure if there is software to do that. If it were to be the cause of your issue then yes you would need a beefier PSU. I take it this is 2 x 6+2 pin connectors on separate cables. Not a single cable with 2 x 6+2 pin connectors?
yes its 2 x 6+2 pin separate cables. probably should just wait for the mounting bracket to arrive to put in the new cooler. was just worried it could have been something else and was hoping to get ahead of it. I'll update after I try it out.

thanks mil for the help, really appreciate it(y).

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Nov 8, 2022
Hi again sorry for the late reply, after installing the AIO it was keeping cool but still had the same problem so i ordered a new PSU and it works like a charm, just didnt have enough power. thanks a million for the help again, appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS