PC keeps shutting down randomly

maronchik

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hey guys so I really need some help.
Allow me to explain my issue
I have a self built gaming PC that i belt a little over a year ago and i mean a little over a year ago maybe a year and a 1-2 months if that matters.
my parts
i5 6600k non overclocked
asus h110me.m2
corsair 550watt cs gold series
mis rx 480 8 gb
ssd adat 256
ripjaws ram 16gb
rosewill case dont know the name sorry
and a hyper 212 evo
all was well until about a month ago. I was chilling doing something on my pc and then boom it turned off like someone yanked the cord but then within like 2 seconds it turns back on so i was like "whoop the power cord is loose" I tidy up the extension cord fix evreything up but then it happened again. and again. So i thought it has to be the psu has to be. Bought a seasonic psu nothing still shuts down. I run windows memory test in standard no errors. ran an antivirus. checked temps (which are normal) cleaned my pc from dust I am actually lost i dont know what to do event viewer says that it is event 41 nothing seems fishy in the logs either
please help.
tldr
my pc shuts down randomly sometimes gaming somethimes chrome sometimes when it is just sitting there and then within 2 seconds boots up again like nothing happened no bsod no error nothing. not the power supply.

update my pc was intially plugged into the same surge protector as my moniter and a lamp
i plugged it into its own sepearate surge protector into a seperate outlet for testing and still shut off. now i realized well no point in having a cord to trip over so i plugged it back into the other surge the one with the monitor and lamp and it is shutting down more often but might be a coincidence also it shuts of shortly after i power off the pc and turn it back on manually. anyone know what this means.

Solution
have you tried using a UPS and see if it doesn't shuts off? if it still shuts off most probably it has something to do with your CPU, mobo or Video card. It shuts off when it actually does some work and stays on when its on bios. I would first try removing the video card and see if it stays on. if it does stay on then try using another GPU and see if it still persist. You may also want to try other CPU as micro crack on the die may cause this issue. It may also be a bad VRM in the motherboard this is still able to deliver enough power to get it started but not to keep it running.

I had similar case where the PC would just shut off few minutes or even seconds later even with a good power supply. turns out it was the motherboard.

teslacoilftw

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Sadly... sounds like motherboard issue... Rare instance could be a grounding issue...
I'd Bare bones bench test it...
Motherboard... 1 stick of Ram... CPU/Fan and Onboard video card.. If no onboard Video then Dedicated GPU..
I'd start by removing the Board from the case and put it on an non-conductive material... Wood Cutting Board... is what I use... Some people use a Glass Table....

Boot the computer see if it reboots without Windows...
If it does... it's most likely Motherboard.

maronchik

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
wow my first bench test i am excited. "Boot the computer see if it reboots without Windows." what do you mean by that see if it runs for a long time and does not shut down. I should mention this it usually restarts 2 times per day one time in the morning when i am sleeping according to event viewer the other time in the at night so only twice per day. I am scared by the consistency however. Anyways i left it in bios for a whole night to see if it would stay in bios when i wake up and sure enough it did. so any chance it could be windows I can swap out motherboards might actually keep the seasonic and buy a ryzen and overclock it already have the cooler

InvalidError

Titan
If your computer reboots on a suspiciously regular schedule, you may want to comb through Windows' event scheduler and see if there are reboot tasks scheduled in there. Whenever I let Windows Update run, I end up stuck with "Update Orchestrator" scheduling one or two reboots per day for several days until I stumble on the correct combination of disabling the event, denying permissions to the task scheduler file and rebooting needed to stop it from re-creating and reactivating the reboot task.

Between Windows and manual driver updates, my PC runs for 2-3 months at a time. (Due to not wanting to deal with 'beta' Meltdown/Spectre patch bugs, I don't plan to run Windows Update within the next 4+ months this time around.)

teslacoilftw

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Event Viewer being clean is not a good thing if the computer is shutting off by itself......
If it was a Windows issue ... it would trigger an event... even if it looks like it's an "instant" shutdown or 'reset"

Clean Event viewer means that it's Brownout... loss of power instantly and it's not triggering recordings in the event viewer...

Bios Staying in the BIOS and not resetting.. that's suspicious...
Power issues don't normally care on what's running...
This ones a brain teaser...

I'd check into what InvalidError listed above...
Event Viewer doesn't normally show "Scheduled" shut downs...
but... you would a warning... like "X" is running we are shutting down.
Goes back to "instant" power loss...

you verified both these power supplies on another working computer...?
You followed my original steps by Bench tested it with 1 Ram stick no HDD
If so...Thinking motherboard still at this point...

maronchik

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Whoops sorry i apologize for my high school language. When we young guys say something is clean we mean to say it is dope or cool looking like if i say your outfit is clean you outfit is good looking. Same thing with the event viewer it looks good windows shows a bunch of errors but they do not seem to correlate together.
i do get an event. event 41 kernel power sorry for the confusion.
I have not bench test it i will do that but i just ran it in safe mode last night and guess what no shut down or restart. No to type this comment i exited safe mode and guess what within five minutes it rebooted. Could this be a windows issue i know it sounds unlikely because of the lack of bsod but the fact two nights it did not restart in bios or in safe mode is so suspicious could be a crazy lucky coincidence but i dont believe in coincidence .

Now i am scared because if i have to reset windows what if it crashes while i am doing it
if this does not work it is time for a bench test ( i kind of wanna do it just for fine
also i should run memtest but windows mem diagnostic said that it was fine however i did only run a standard test plus this does not sound like ram and also one stick of ram in the bench test should test it as well as long as i alternate between the two ram sticks.

teslacoilftw

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

aldejay

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
have you tried using a UPS and see if it doesn't shuts off? if it still shuts off most probably it has something to do with your CPU, mobo or Video card. It shuts off when it actually does some work and stays on when its on bios. I would first try removing the video card and see if it stays on. if it does stay on then try using another GPU and see if it still persist. You may also want to try other CPU as micro crack on the die may cause this issue. It may also be a bad VRM in the motherboard this is still able to deliver enough power to get it started but not to keep it running.

I had similar case where the PC would just shut off few minutes or even seconds later even with a good power supply. turns out it was the motherboard.

Solution