Question PC keeps shutting down randomly

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Problem:

Computer restarts around a couple times everyday. No BSOD; the screen either freezes or shows a black screen, and then the computer restarts.
The problem is not related to any specific program.
Sometimes the screen freezes for 5 seconds before restarting, and I can still hear all the audio.
Doesn't happen when playing games but I don't play games a lot. When I do, they work fine.

One thing I've noticed is that my PC restarts more if I have both of my RAM sticks plugged (8+8). If I only have one plugged in (either one), it causes less restarts.

Things I've tried:
  • Checked Event Viewer, it gives a 41 Kernel-Power error so it essentially says nothing
  • Ran memtest86 on both my RAM sticks, 0 errors
  • Replaced my PSU, upgraded from Tier 6 to Tier 2
  • Changed my power cable
  • Updated my graphics drivers
  • Ran stress tests on GPU
Specs:

CPU: i5 8400
Motherboard: ECS H310H5-M2
Ram: 8x2
SSD/HDD: 2 SSDs, 1 HDDs
GPU: RTX 2060
PSU: Corsair CX650

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Check and see which version of the BIOS your motherboard is running on. Also mention the version of your OS.

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Check and see which version of the BIOS your motherboard is running on. Also mention the version of your OS.
Updated my post.

The BIOS version seems to be "American Megatrends Inc. 5.13, 3/9/2018". Should I download the new one from my mobo manufacturer's site and install it? It doesn't seem to match the version name of the one I have.

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Is your computer connected an extension cord with other devices?
If you're talking about the power, it's running on a UPS (battery backup thing). I also have my monitor connected to the UPS.
The UPS is then connected to a bigger board where I also have my router.

It's been like this for a long time, and it didn't cause any issues in my previous build (which had a 350w PSU and a Pentium 7th Gen). You think that might be causing issues with my 650w power supply?

May 21, 2019
If you're talking about the power, it's running on a UPS (battery backup thing). I also have my monitor connected to the UPS.
The UPS is then connected to a bigger board where I also have my router.

It's been like this for a long time, and it didn't cause any issues in my previous build (which had a 350w PSU and a Pentium 7th Gen). You think that might be causing issues with my 650w power supply?

Please dis-assemble everything (mainboard, psu, gpu etc.), Then re-assemble back.
If don't work again, problem is probably psu. Try with different psu If re-assemble don't work