[SOLVED] PC keeps shutting down under load.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 1, 2021
I have a Radeon RX580 running 55 Celcius at idle, with 25W usage. I also have my Ryzen 7 1800x running at 54 Celcius at idle. When I play certain games on my pc for more than 10 minutes, my pc shuts off and the fans rev to max speed until I force shut down the computer. I ran a stress test and when the final 3D render test named Swarm came up for my gpu, my pc copied what it did while playing under heavy load. How can I fix this? I can't play PUBG, CSGO, Valorant, GTA 5, and more when I used to be able to with this pc.

Solution
No it’s an aftermarket cooler. Prime95 test pushes my CPU to 75C under load and Furmark pushes my GPU to 72C-75C and then my pc shuts off during the Furmark test.

Run the amd software for your GPU while you run furmark or something and go to the performance and metrics section or turn on the overlay and see what the junction temperature is when you are at 70-75C or see what it is right before shutdown.
Aug 1, 2021
Easy to test whether CPU or GPU.

Download Prime95 for CPU testing.

Download Furmark for GPU testing.

Each will only load one or the other....see which one really causes things to go badly.
I stressed my CPU with CPUID and it never broke 70C but when I stressed my GPU with Furmark, my GPU got to 75C and my pc recreated the events that occur when I try to play games. Screen went black, GPU fan to max speed, had to force shut down.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Are these safe idle temps for my computer? I still haven't solved my issue. Haven't been able to game in weeks.

That looks really high for idle, is that stock cooler?...If you do the prime 95 test right now, what are your high cpu temps? If it did that under furmark and not under prime 95, like rubix said it's your GPU. Max 75C shouldn't cause that though so there's something else going on.

Aug 1, 2021
That looks really high for idle, is that stock cooler?...If you do the prime 95 test right now, what are your high cpu temps? If it did that under furmark and not under prime 95, like rubix said it's your GPU. Max 75C shouldn't cause that though so there's something else going on.
No it’s an aftermarket cooler. Prime95 test pushes my CPU to 75C under load and Furmark pushes my GPU to 72C-75C and then my pc shuts off during the Furmark test.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Run the amd software for your GPU while you run furmark or something and go to the performance and metrics section or turn on the overlay and see what the junction temperature is when you are at 70-75C or see what it is right before shutdown.

Solution