[SOLVED] PC keeps shutting down under load.

Aug 1, 2021
I have a Radeon RX580 running 55 Celcius at idle, with 25W usage. I also have my Ryzen 7 1800x running at 54 Celcius at idle. When I play certain games on my pc for more than 10 minutes, my pc shuts off and the fans rev to max speed until I force shut down the computer. I ran a stress test and when the final 3D render test named Swarm came up for my gpu, my pc copied what it did while playing under heavy load. How can I fix this? I can't play PUBG, CSGO, Valorant, GTA 5, and more when I used to be able to with this pc.

Solution
No it’s an aftermarket cooler. Prime95 test pushes my CPU to 75C under load and Furmark pushes my GPU to 72C-75C and then my pc shuts off during the Furmark test.

Run the amd software for your GPU while you run furmark or something and go to the performance and metrics section or turn on the overlay and see what the junction temperature is when you are at 70-75C or see what it is right before shutdown.
Aug 1, 2021
What is your full specs including PSU?
How do I find out my full specs? I know most of them but my PSU I don't know. Also, I checked Event Viewer and I find a critical error when the unexpected shutdown occurs. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Source is Kernel Power, Event ID 41

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
GPU: Radeon RX580 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
MOBO: A-320M PRO-VH PLUS

Last edited:

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Yes, the error is likely to be either caused by faulty PSU or other components being faulty. Most likely the former.

You could find out the PSU by opening up the case, then find out what brand and model it is. I don't know of any other way to do so except this.

May I also ask you how long you have had this PC?
Is it a pre-built PC from an Official Website (Not eBay or Individual Amazon Sellers)? You could probably try to find out its PSU from the site you bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PringlyGoat
Aug 1, 2021
I bought this PC on May 31, 2020 at a pawn shop for $400. It is a prebuilt IBuyPower. I can't read the serial number for the PSU because it is housed under some metal shelving in the case but I read online that it is a 500W PSU from the factory. I don't think the PSU has ever been replaced, I know they deteriorate over time. Should I try replacing my PSU for another 500W or get like a 650W?

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Aug 1, 2021

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Reactions: PringlyGoat
Aug 1, 2021
Reactions: chaoyang
Aug 1, 2021
I installed my new PSU (Corsair CX550W), reapplied thermal paste to CPU, and added 2 1500rpm intake fans. Hopefully this solves my issues but I'm not sure yet I have to play some demanding games on my computer first.

Reactions: chaoyang

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Next up, test airflow:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

Aug 1, 2021
Next up, test airflow:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.
View: https://imgur.com/a/N3DzBYO

this is what’s happening when I try to launch certain games on my computer

Aug 1, 2021
This is the byproduct of the issue, did you find the actual cause?
No I don't know why my computer is turning off and revving my fans to max speed. I've been trying to figure it out for like a month but I can't find anyone else with the same issue as me. So I have no way to see what's going wrong. It just started happening randomly, now it's more frequent, but I don't even know what to try next to solve it.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
No I don't know why my computer is turning off and revving my fans to max speed. I've been trying to figure it out for like a month but I can't find anyone else with the same issue as me. So I have no way to see what's going wrong. It just started happening randomly, now it's more frequent, but I don't even know what to try next to solve it.

To me it feel more like your PC is constant shifting between state of on and off; like when you pressed power button, the fan instantly goes on at full speed then quickly slows down. Try going to 'Power & Sleep Setting' and change all the setting, usually one for PC to 'Never'.

Aug 1, 2021
To me it feel more like your PC is constant shifting between state of on and off; like when you pressed power button, the fan instantly goes on at full speed then quickly slows down. Try going to 'Power & Sleep Setting' and change all the setting, usually one for PC to 'Never'.
I have my PC set to Never sleep, and my hard drive set to never sleep as well. Also, my fans rev to max when my computer crashes, then I have to hold the power button to force a shut down. It only crashes when I play graphically demanding games, my RX580 idles at 55c, is that too high? Could my GPU be shutting off my pc?

Aug 1, 2021
Does the PC reboot when it isn't under heavy utilization? Example, web browsing or idle?
It only reboots when under heavy load, but mostly when trying to launch certain games. It hasn’t shut off on idle or while online. It seems to be more frequent now because it would never shut off when I played valorant but now my pc is turning off on that game too. So whatever the issue is, it’s getting worse and pretty quickly.

Aug 1, 2021
I think my RX580 GPU is shutting down for some reason. Because my pc is still on but the monitor goes black and I think my GPU fans are what is revving at max speed when the monitor blacks out What should I do about it possibly being my GPU? I only have this GPU so I have no backup to test with.