[SOLVED] PC keeps shutting down

Jan 13, 2020
Hello, my computer has had some occasional blue screens and some other wierd errors in the past. However just recently it will turn on and I can use it for about 20 min and then it just shuts off. When I hit the power button after it does this the computer just blinks once and then stays off. It will only come back on after i let it sit for a while with the power cord not plugged in. All of my components are less than 4 years old. When i get home from work i can post the specs but i genuinely do not know where to start or what this problem could be. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I would start with the PSU, having to leave it off for a while with the power cored unplugged suggests something is about to go in the unit.
Hello,

Judging by the symptoms your system suffers from overheating 😷 but I wouldn't just from the beginning, point the power supply unit as the main cause of the problem.

Check for visible dust buildup inside the Power Supply, against the blades of case fans or the CPU heatsink and generally your whole PC case. If your system is clogged with dust you can remove it with a compressed air canister/duster.

Answering to your question, the best way to diagnose a PSU is with a professional equipment called "Oscilloscope". I don't know how many electronic repair shops exist in your area with this specific equipment and what they charge for a test.

Others prefer to use multi-meters, this can show you if there are is any kind of voltage drop under load but you have to know what you are doing (knowledge on basic electronics).

So the only convenient way for a home user to check out by it's own, if the PSU is the root of the problem, is to buy a new or to find a functional one from another PC.

Can you write your PC specs, please?