Question PC Keeps Shutting Down

Nov 11, 2020
I recently built a new PC. However, I tried playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising on it and I keep instantly crashing. No blue screen, just a complete shutdown. I researched the issue and found that the issue could lie in faulty drivers, overheating, not enough power, etc. Well, I have downloaded the latest chipset and NVIDIA drivers. The BIOS, along with several hardware monitors reveal that I am not overheating. I have also tested my computer under load using FurMark and 3DMark and had no problems with shutdowns. I have also played other games on it, albeit not extremely graphically intensive. I have included the specs for my PC below. Let me know if there is anything else I should try before resorting to buying a new PSU.

SPECS
CPU- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
MB- ASRock X570 Taichi
RAM- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3600 CL18
STORAGE- WD Black 500GB NVME M.2 SSD/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD/ Seagate Barracude 2TB HDD
GPU- EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that Immortal crashes.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use one at a time) to observe system performance before playing Immortals and see what happens prior to the crashes. May not be possible if the crashes are instantaneous.... Maybe try that via Safe Mode.

Look at what all else is running the background; could be some app or utility that is incompatible or causing a conflict.

Nov 11, 2020
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that Immortal crashes.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use one at a time) to observe system performance before playing Immortals and see what happens prior to the crashes. May not be possible if the crashes are instantaneous.... Maybe try that via Safe Mode.

Look at what all else is running the background; could be some app or utility that is incompatible or causing a conflict.
Reliability Monitor only says Windows was not shut down properly, while Event Viewer yields a Kernel Power Critical Issue with Event ID 41 but the details have all 0s which apparently is the same as an unexpected shutdown. I will try observing Resource Monitor, however MSI Afterburner didn't show me anything whenever the crashes happened. I expected at least a spike in power consumption but Afterburner said that I was only drawing about 81%

Nov 11, 2020
Immortals may be causing a power spike that the PSU cannot simply handle.

Try disconnecting the HDD and otherwise reduce the load on the PSU.

Also take a close look at your system vs. the game's requirements.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/immortals-fenyx-rising/system-requirements

Google "immortals system requirements" for additional links and discussions.
Unplugging the HDD did not seem to work. I also set my PC the efficient or economy mode to reduce power consumption. Still nothing. I have looked at the system requirement's and everything seems to be in order.

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that "economy mode" would kick in during gaming use. More for when the PC is sitting idle and the OS is allowed to power off/down devices that are not actually doing anything.

Any chance that you can borrow a higher wattage PSU from someone before purchasing a new PSU.

Just to determine if the PSU/wattage is indeed the issue?

Go to this link from within this Forum:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use 2 or 3 of the listed calculators to tally up your system's power demand - component by component. If any given device has a power range then use the high end value.

Your GPU alone is 450 watts.

Reference:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...imit-of-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra-to-450-w/

750 watts may not be enough with respect to the combined requirements/demands of the GPU and Immortals....

Reactions: Krotow
Nov 11, 2020
Doubt that "economy mode" would kick in during gaming use. More for when the PC is sitting idle and the OS is allowed to power off/down devices that are not actually doing anything.

Any chance that you can borrow a higher wattage PSU from someone before purchasing a new PSU.

Just to determine if the PSU/wattage is indeed the issue?

Go to this link from within this Forum:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use 2 or 3 of the listed calculators to tally up your system's power demand - component by component. If any given device has a power range then use the high end value.

Your GPU alone is 450 watts.

Reference:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/10/15/evga-raises-power-limit-of-eforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra-to-450-w/

750 watts may not be enough with respect to the combined requirements/demands of the GPU and Immortals....
I was thinking about trying a different PSU. As to the GPU issue, I was under the impression that the 450 Watt limit was an overclockable option in the BIOS profile made by EVGA. I could be wrong about that, but I thought that the GPU wattage was ~320 without this option enabled.

Nov 11, 2020
May well be but the matter is somewhat moot if overclocking or 450 watts in some other manner is needed to play Immortals.
I'd highly doubt that's the case. I ran the game at their very low preset and it still ended up shutting down my pc for whatever reason. I have now contacted Ubisoft services to see if they have any insight. Hopefully I can get a refund. I don't think that it is a PSU issue mainly because I have ran 3 different benchmarks now several times and none have managed to reproduce the system shut down. I have also played other games on the PC with no issues whatsoever. But it again could be a weird and specific case regarding Immortals.

TRENDING THREADS