Question PC keeps shutting off and restarting every few minutes everywhere!

Feb 11, 2022
- PC keeps shutting off and restarting every few minutes everywhere!

- Parts:
CPU: R5 5600g - https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-5600g (New)
Motherboard: B450m mortar max - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX/Specification (New)
RAM: Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 CL16 - https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536110676/F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (New)
PSU: Be Quiet System Power 9 600W - https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1279 (New)

M2 NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/internal-ssd/970evoplus/ (New)
SATA SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB - https://www.anandtech.com/show/8520/sandisk-ultra-ii-240gb-ssd-review (4yrs Old)
SATA HDD: WDC 1 TB (10yrs Old)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC - https://www.gigabyte.com/gr/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD#kf (4yrs Old)
Monitor 1: Samsung 24" Curved C24FG73 - https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1112/C24FG73 (4yrs Old)
Monitor 2: LG flatron W2242S-PF 22" - https://www.lg.com/za/monitors/lg-W2242S-PF-widescreen-computer-monitor (13yrs old)

CPU cooler: Wraith Stealth air cooler (included in CPU box) (New)
Case: Savio Raptor X1 ARGB Case - https://www.savio.net.pl/en/product/savio-raptor-x1-argb-case-mesh-glass/ (New)
Bios: AMI BIOS 7B89v2E 2022-01-19 , Update to AMD ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.5, have used 7B89v2D too.

Core parts are all brand new (CPU, PSU, RAM, MOBO, NVMe), bought a week ago.

- Bought a week ago my new parts, i put everything together for my first time, had the pc to work for several days, and then all of a sudden during my 1st livestream, 1 hour in, it did its 1st sudden shutoff-autorestart sequence. From that moment until today (4 days) it keeps doing it very often in every aspect of windows tasks. PC keeps shutting off & auto-restarting in every process that im doing, apps installation, drivers installation, windows installation, windows updates, loggin to windows, starting the pc, troubleshooting, everywhere. I havent got a single BSOD yet, nothing, not even an error message, it only shuts off on its own and tries to restart, it gets stuck sometimes on loops. I keep reinstalling (clean install) the windows 10 from my USB, the lucky attempts that will make it through will have the same fate a few mins later when i let windows update take over. And after the random shutoff it is unable to complete the installation of the <cumulative update for windows 10 version 21h2 for x64-based Systems (KB5010342)>, either it gets stuck there (pending) or shuts off when it tries to install it. It does it on video driver installation too, tried different driver versions, no hope. I have access to BIOS (which im using mobo's latest but tried the previous too), after that problem begins.

- What I have tried so far but the problem persists like nothing changed:
Opened case and disassembled everything and put it back together (done twice)
Installed windows 15-20 times from scratch (still does it, even during windows installation)
Installing windows on M2 NVMe & SATA SSD seperately (does it on both disks)
With and without GPU installed (with integraded grahics)
With and without secondary disks attached (SATA)
With and without XMP profile on ram speeds
With and without GPU OC (through msi afterburner)
Tried both BIOS versions (latest & second from recent)
Applied thermal paste on to CPU (three times)
Monitored temps, nothing was overheating
Did startup repairs

- I just spend all my free hours trying things to see what is the cause of the problem. I cant narrow it down. I need help guys, at least what is the source of this, is a part that i bought missfuctioning or faulty? is it software or hardware related? It keeps shutting off and tries to restart. I had to enter safe mode to be able to type and post this thread without crashing. Is this considered as crash? It shuts off instantly with no error or screen message and immediately tries to reboot.

- Please any help is much appreciated & needed. Im lost :/

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You definitely have done all the correct troubleshooting. Might try removing it from the case and bread-boarding everything out on a table. Then check that you didn't accidentally add an extra standoff that isn't needed that is grounding out part of the board. Maybe an errant screw or other item is lodged under the board.
Or are you saying it'll run fine all day as long as you stay in safe mode? Or does it reboot in SM too?

Feb 11, 2022
You definitely have done all the correct troubleshooting. Might try removing it from the case and bread-boarding everything out on a table. Then check that you didn't accidentally add an extra standoff that isn't needed that is grounding out part of the board. Maybe an errant screw or other item is lodged under the board.
Or are you saying it'll run fine all day as long as you stay in safe mode? Or does it reboot in SM too?

In safe mode it doesn't reboot/crash. I can stay there all day. Its where i exit it i cant access normal mode. All sorts of sequential shuts off until it decides to display the troubleshoot screen

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In safe mode it doesn't reboot/crash. I can stay there all day. Its where i exit it i cant access normal mode. All sorts of sequential shuts off until it decides to display the troubleshoot screen
Unexpected Shut downs are most often caused by a failing PSU. I know yours is good quality and brand new. But, If you haven't already tried it, I would temporarily replace the Be Quiet PSU with another if available. It can be almost any size as long as you leave the G. Card out and use the iGPU. You wouldn't have to remove it. Just disconnect it from the system and temporary in the replacement PSU off to the side.

Feb 11, 2022
its weird, starting with bios. My motherboard's manufacturer has released 3 bios updates from which on ryzen 5000 series are being supported (like I showed in previous screenshot). In order for my 5600G cpu to work i need to flash the bios on the motherboard which is why i got a mobo that has a flash bios button. It is the first thing to do before connecting anything, so that's what i did ! Connected 8 & 24pin cables, the usb, power, and did it before putting anything on. To be safe though i flashed with the oldest of these three supported bios (when i built it 2 weeks ago), which led to not being able to start (EZ debug light stuck on cpu indicator, just fans running). After checking everything, i decided to flash it again with a usb, but i didn't pull out all parts, and i put the next (2nd) bios update with all parts connected, it seemed fine and successful because pc came to life after that and for the next week. After the problem started, one of the hundreds things i tried is to flash again the bios to the most recent update but again i did it with some parts on, which led to the same disastrous behaviour. In the duration of the problematic period i was going back and forth with the bios updates in my desperation to test everything. But, yesterday when i decided to disassemble again everything, i thought it would be nice to try flash the bios the "suggested" way, with nothing on the board. Thats what i did, put the latest version once more, and since yesterday pc is running fine with no strange shut downs or crashes. Its weird because if that was the actual fix, i had no idea that i had to flash it like this, because when i was searching for it, noone said it MUST have be done with the motherboard bare naked, more like you COULD do it with no cpu or other parts. And the other weird thing is that it doesnt work with the first update that introduced 5000 series to b450 motherboards like it says on msi's site, only the last two are able to recognize the cpu. I hope that is it, im installing things very anxiously on my pc just thinking it might break the whole thing again if its not bios related :/

Feb 11, 2022
Well, it did it again! Suddenly when everything was working, system shutted off like a power loss occured. I only have my old pc's psu as an extra one, which has only a 4pin cable to power cpu. Not the 4+4 that is required. Can i use it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it did it again! Suddenly when everything was working, system shutted off like a power loss occured. I only have my old pc's psu as an extra one, which has only a 4pin cable to power cpu. Not the 4+4 that is required. Can i use it?
Most likely, yes. As long as it was at least 300W and you keep the G. Card out. Do you know the make and model of the old one? Was it working good at the time you quit using it?

Btw, you do not need to flash a BIOS with the bear-naked board. I suppose there is the slight possibility that a defective device could cause disruption issues during the flash, but that is really stretching the possibility. I always flash/reflash my BIOSs with a completed build. On occasions, it may need to see what devices or components it is communicating with. But those would most generally be board-related.

Last edited:

jasonbirder

Honorable
Nov 20, 2015
You've probably already tried this...but is your RAM seated correctly?
I only post because i had this problem and I was absolutely convinced it was a power problem to the mobo, i removed my cable extensions, I checked the cables, the pins for the ATX and CPU connectors, the Power Supply ands still it occured...restarting every 10 - 15 secs.
Then I removed 2 of my memory sticks (I'm running 4) and it was fine, i then reseated the 2 i'd removed and still it was fine...
(I then cursed for the hours i'd spent stripping down and taking apart my system for something that could have been done in 2 minutes)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You've probably already tried this...but is your RAM seated correctly?
I only post because i had this problem and I was absolutely convinced it was a power problem to the mobo, i removed my cable extensions, I checked the cables, the pins for the ATX and CPU connectors, the Power Supply ands still it occured...restarting every 10 - 15 secs.
Then I removed 2 of my memory sticks (I'm running 4) and it was fine, i then reseated the 2 i'd removed and still it was fine...
(I then cursed for the hours i'd spent stripping down and taking apart my system for something that could have been done in 2 minutes)
Good point. Something to remember...

Feb 11, 2022
When i power the computer, it tries to load, flashes screens, tries to get to login screen, it crashes and reboots. After a couple of times it shows the troubleshoot screen. If i manage to get in to desktop and press shut down it cant. it will crash right when showing "shutting down" and it will restart instead. Only way to shut down the pc is either from troubleshooting screen or pulling the power cable.

I have recorded a 2min video of this sequence of nonsense that it will go forever.
View: https://youtu.be/eNDCIWQVJGw

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What was connected when that video was taken? Were you using the iGPU or the 1050 Ti?
Have you ever tried the bread-boarding technique* I suggested?

*Motherboard, CPU/cooler, 1-stick RAM, PSU, KB, monitor (iGPU) only. Momentarily short the 2 pins that the start button would connect to to boot up. Make sure you can enter BIOS and move around.
If all is good, then add the mouse, repeat. If all is good, then the boot drive, but repeat getting to BIOS.
If all is well, boot to Win.
Let us know what happens at that point...

(I'm suspecting motherboard issues now)

Feb 11, 2022
Im indeed using the bare minimum components. No gpu, no ssd, no hdd, no 2nd monitor. Just cpu,ram, psu and M2 on the motherboard. Im even switching monitors back and forth. Strangely the 13year monitor is more consistent posting info than the newest one but nevertheless it still does it. Are you suggesting to disconnect the case connectors? (Hd audio, usb 2.0, usb 3.0, power, reset, power leds, hdd pins) and bridge only the power pins?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Im indeed using the bare minimum components. No gpu, no ssd, no hdd, no 2nd monitor. Just cpu,ram, psu and M2 on the motherboard. Im even switching monitors back and forth. Strangely the 13year monitor is more consistent posting info than the newest one but nevertheless it still does it. Are you suggesting to disconnect the case connectors? (Hd audio, usb 2.0, usb 3.0, power, reset, power leds, hdd pins) and bridge only the power pins?
Basically, yes. If you follow the bread-boarding-like procedure above, you may be able to find which component is the 'weak link' that causes the fault. But, do the re-build outside of the case on an insulated surface that won't short out the solder points on the back of the motherboard. Then start with the basic connections to get booted to BIOS as I outlined above... moving on with adding another connection, etc.