[SOLVED] PC Keeps shutting off immediately after I power it on (Driving me insane for over a year)

Wizzrd

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi all, so whenever I powered on my PC the fans would run for about half a second (no beeps just a click from the PSU)

I didn't have time to fix it so I took it to a shop. They told me the issue wasn't the PSU (was told the psu was fine) but likely the motherboard. The next day they told me they think it may be the CPU because the heatsink wasn't installed correctly and the thermal paste was dried up. So I took it back home.

I reapplied the thermal paste and installed the heatsink correctly and powered it on. The fans actually didn't stop spinning, but the heatsink fan wasn't running, I noticed the wire was pinched so after straightening it out it started working, but my monitor wasn't showing anything. I hit the CMOS button and I actually got to the lock screen! I could play my games again!

Then it shut off again 3 days later... it went back to fans running for a half second before shutting off. I unplugged and plugged back in the ATX 24 pin mobo cable, and it worked!

That was yesterday, today it shut down back to the same problem, but now occasionally does this as well:

View: https://youtu.be/MmOEza418vQ

I couldn't do the paper clip test since all my wires are black, but I'm not even sure what the problem is....

Any thoughts?

Specs

Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE II
Processor : i7-6900k
Power Supply: Corsair AX860
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4 x 16)
Solid State: 960 EVO M.2
Video Card: Titan XP

Solution
Well, for me it sounds like the mobo has got som beatings during its lifetimem and it is fully possible that there are fractures or bad soldering spots that you cannot see.

Maybe it also have suffered from ESD damage too if you haven't being carefully.
Well, for me it sounds like the mobo has got som beatings during its lifetimem and it is fully possible that there are fractures or bad soldering spots that you cannot see.

Reactions: Wizzrd
Solution

Wizzrd

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016

Yeah I guess I'll have to buy a new one... hard to find a good new mobo with a 2011 socket these days GAHHH

I always work with a grounding bracelet, would that protect it against esd damage?