CPU cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4
Motherboard: GA-Z170-Gaming K3
GPU: Asus Strix 1070
Ram: 2 x 8GB HyperX Fury
OS SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400
2nd SSD (Games): Crucial MX
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold

I've had this PC for over 6 years now. I haven't had any major issues with it however I have noticed in the last month or so I get a strange microstutter/frame skip for literally a split second. This is happening in League of Legends, Counter Strike Global Offensive and also on the Desktop now and then. ( I haven't tested other games yet). I have done the following steps however I am still struggling to find the source of the issue:

(Not in order)
  1. Open Task Manager on my 2nd Monitor and see if any processes use up lots of the resources. Can't see anything
  2. Use HWMonitor to check temps - All seem okay.
  3. Run crystaldiskinf - OS SSD has a health rating of 38% however there are no errors, other SSD and HDD seem okay
  4. Run crystaldiskmark to check the speeds of the drives. All seem normal
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 on the OS SSD. Stuttering returned
  6. Used DDU to remove GPU Driver and install only the graphics driver without any bloatware. Tried the latest Driver the previous 2 drivers and tried a driver from around a year ago.
  7. Checked USB and peripherals - Removing the devices, using a different mouse and etc
  8. Lowered Mouse polling
  9. Reseated GPU
  10. Ran LatencyMon to see if anything stands out
  11. checked power options
  12. Checked HDMI Cables
  13. Updated BIOS
  14. Tested Ram using Memtest
Coming to the conclusion that I may have to build a new system soon but I would really like to work out what could be causing this issue. I have been doing lots of researching and googling however it hasn't gotten anywhere yet. Any recommendations or ideas I should try next?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hey there,

What power plan are you running?

Set either high performance or ultimate by typing the following code into powershell:

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61 High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

See if that changes anything.

Did you clear CMOS after bios update? If not, do that also. That could be the issue.

What might have changed since all was well a month ago?

Stuttering is usually the temporary lack of a critical resource.
Usually, the cpu, but lack of sufficient ram and hard page faults can be a source also.
Are you overclocking the 6700K?
You could oc a bit which can gain you some 25% cpu capability.
Or if now overclocking, back off a bit to see if anything changes.

16gb is fine for gaming, but if you are also multitasking that can cause interference.

Look for tasks that might start up to check for more current software.
Perhaps the nvidia experience software.

A cpu upgrade can bring a major boost to gaming and possibly reduce stuttering.
A $130 I3-12100 processor is considerably stronger, and a B660 motherboard is perhaps $100.
You can reuse your ram.
Here is a review:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/simj7f/1
Of course, you might want to go stronger.

Graphics card upgrades are more reasonable now.
As a test,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Aug 14, 2022
Hey there,

What power plan are you running?

Set either high performance or ultimate by typing the following code into powershell:

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61 High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

See if that changes anything.

Did you clear CMOS after bios update? If not, do that also. That could be the issue.

Ill give that power plan a go now, I did check it over manually a few days ago and didn't see any improvements but worth a try.

I didn't reset CMOS, Can give that a try.

Aug 14, 2022
What might have changed since all was well a month ago?

Stuttering is usually the temporary lack of a critical resource.
Usually, the cpu, but lack of sufficient ram and hard page faults can be a source also.
Are you overclocking the 6700K?
You could oc a bit which can gain you some 25% cpu capability.
Or if now overclocking, back off a bit to see if anything changes.

16gb is fine for gaming, but if you are also multitasking that can cause interference.

Look for tasks that might start up to check for more current software.
Perhaps the nvidia experience software.

A cpu upgrade can bring a major boost to gaming and possibly reduce stuttering.
A $130 I3-12100 processor is considerably stronger, and a B660 motherboard is perhaps $100.
You can reuse your ram.
Here is a review:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/simj7f/1
Of course, you might want to go stronger.

Graphics card upgrades are more reasonable now.
As a test,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Haven't really changed anything in the last month. Only Windows updates, software updates and driver updates.

I am not running any overclock just the stock configuration.

Ill give that idea a go. Is it possible for the CPU to play up after 6 years of running perfectly?

Haven't really changed anything in the last month. Only Windows updates, software updates and driver updates.

I am not running any overclock just the stock configuration.

Ill give that idea a go. Is it possible for the CPU to play up after 6 years of running perfectly?
Intel processors are durable. It is not likely that yours has degraded in any way.

Likely a windows update or other software update had something to do with it. I seem to recall that some windows security updates had the potential to impact cpu performance.
Not much you can do about that.

Hello,

I'll start with specs:
CPU: Intel I7 6700k
CPU cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4
Motherboard: GA-Z170-Gaming K3
GPU: Asus Strix 1070
Ram: 2 x 8GB HyperX Fury
OS SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400
2nd SSD (Games): Crucial MX
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold

I've had this PC for over 6 years now. I haven't had any major issues with it however I have noticed in the last month or so I get a strange microstutter/frame skip for literally a split second. This is happening in League of Legends, Counter Strike Global Offensive and also on the Desktop now and then. ( I haven't tested other games yet). I have done the following steps however I am still struggling to find the source of the issue:

(Not in order)
  1. Open Task Manager on my 2nd Monitor and see if any processes use up lots of the resources. Can't see anything
  2. Use HWMonitor to check temps - All seem okay.
  3. Run crystaldiskinf - OS SSD has a health rating of 38% however there are no errors, other SSD and HDD seem okay
  4. Run crystaldiskmark to check the speeds of the drives. All seem normal
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 on the OS SSD. Stuttering returned
  6. Used DDU to remove GPU Driver and install only the graphics driver without any bloatware. Tried the latest Driver the previous 2 drivers and tried a driver from around a year ago.
  7. Checked USB and peripherals - Removing the devices, using a different mouse and etc
  8. Lowered Mouse polling
  9. Reseated GPU
  10. Ran LatencyMon to see if anything stands out
  11. checked power options
  12. Checked HDMI Cables
  13. Updated BIOS
  14. Tested Ram using Memtest
Coming to the conclusion that I may have to build a new system soon but I would really like to work out what could be causing this issue. I have been doing lots of researching and googling however it hasn't gotten anywhere yet. Any recommendations or ideas I should try next?

Thank you
If you run out of things to try download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a Link to the results page.

Maybe something will show.

TRENDING THREADS