[SOLVED] PC keeps trying to check disk on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2020
Hello everyone, this is kind of a long story, a few months ago I needed to use an old computer and the windows installation was driving me nuts, mostly because I wanted to boot from USB and the machine didn't like it. Anyway what I did was put the hard drive on another computer that was already running win10 and install windwos 7 on it, then I took the drive out of the working computer and into the old one. I know that is not the way it's supposed to be done but it worked.

the thing is this whole installing 2 versions of windows on the same computer messed the hard drive a little bit, so the next time I booted up win10 the loading screen prompted me to check the disk, I did just that and after checking the disk everything ran just fine, but the next time I wanted to boot the PC the check disk message came up again, and it has come up every time I turned on the PC ever since then, so my question is: Can I manually disable the check disk message on startup? or rather is there any way I can tell my PC everything is just fine?

Thanks in advance, have a nice week.

Solution
Hello everyone, this is kind of a long story, a few months ago I needed to use an old computer and the windows installation was driving me nuts, mostly because I wanted to boot from USB and the machine didn't like it. Anyway what I did was put the hard drive on another computer that was already running win10 and install windwos 7 on it, then I took the drive out of the working computer and into the old one. I know that is not the way it's supposed to be done but it worked.

the thing is this whole installing 2 versions of windows on the same computer messed the hard drive a little bit, so the next time I booted up win10 the loading screen prompted me to check the disk, I did just that and after checking the disk everything ran just...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

the thing is this whole installing 2 versions of windows on the same computer messed the hard drive a little bit, so the next time I booted up win10 the loading screen prompted me to check the disk, I did just that and after checking the disk everything ran just fine, but the next time I wanted to boot the PC the check disk message came up again, and it has come up every time I turned on the PC ever since then, so my question is: Can I manually disable the check disk message on startup? or rather is there any way I can tell my PC everything is just fine?

Thanks in advance, have a nice week.

https://superuser.com/questions/469521/why-does-windows-run-chkdsk-on-every-boot

The best thing to do is to simply wipe the disk and install your OSs properly. You have a second OS on a disk that was awkwardly grafted from another PC; it is not intended to be modular in this way. When you're actively having problems with stuff that's jury-rigged, the best way to deal with it is first clean things up and do them properly rather than make the mess even more complex.

Solution
.....so my question is: Can I manually disable the check disk message on startup? or rather is there any way I can tell my PC everything is just fine?.....
Yes, you can disable disk check on startup (https://www.windowsdigitals.com/how-to-skip-disk-checking-on-windows-10-startup/) However, this is not the proper way to address the problem, and, Windows will simply schedule another check. You need to find out why Windows has scheduled chkdsk on startup. Simply disabling the startup check is only masking an underlying problem that very well could explode in your face. You DO have a recent, fully tested backup, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.