PC kept restarting. Tried every solution, no luck.

renohjmd

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hello everyone,

to start off here's my specs:

CPU : AMD FX 6300
GPU : Zotac GTX 750ti
PSU : Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
MOBO : Asus M5A78L-M LX
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

At first i thought it was the PSU, as it is the common issue for restarting. so i replaced my old crappy psu with a FSP Hexa+ 450w. The issue still persists. again i thought it was a crappy PSU that bought so i sold it and bought the Thermaltake 750w. Still the restarts keep coming and coming. i formatted my pc 3 times and still kept on restarting.

Then i suspected my RAM cause i just recently upgraded it from a Corsair XMS 3 4GB 1300mhz. So i ran memtest86 and no errors to be found. I did the ram timing accordingly to the ram and still no luck. Just to be sure i ran sfc scan in cmd and no errors to be found.

Replaced the CMOS battery still the issue persists.

The restarts is unpredictable, i played Overwatch for hours and it was fine. It always occurs during playing music, forwarding/rewinding movies in VLC, transfering heavy files. I don't know where to diagnose anymore.

My last suspection is my hard disk or my motherboard. that's the only two components I haven't upgrade.

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Did you try just using one stick of ram than the two, assuming you're using two. In my experience, when the problem is happening unpredictably its a faulty capacitor on the motherboard or some such like that, as it just seems to degrade in that manner over time.

renohjmd

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

I did try using one stick, still kept restarting. went back to my old ram, no change. i looked up my motherboard, seems there are no signs of faulty capacitors, all were shiny clean.

renohjmd

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Checked the hard drive. all good. i did reinstall windows many times so i dont think a bad windows install is one of them. However, im not quite sure what to check on the motherboard.