[SOLVED] PC keyboard problem

royalflush1993

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Hello community.

A few weeks ago, there was a big storm nearby and my PC may be hit by lightning. Since then, the keyboard ceased to work at boot time. It means that the PC turns on, POST screen appears, then starts to boot the operating system. Once the OS is up, everything works fine except the network controller. The keyboard is also working perfectly under Windows 10. The only problem that remains is that I'm unable too boot from CD or USB stick. Is there anything I could try to boot from these devices without a working keyboard at boot time?

Solution
I'd try replacing the keyboard with a PS/2 type keyboard (just to try boottime access), but if a new one won't allow you to access boot options, then you're in trouble.
If your computer took a power surge during the storm, it's more likely that the motherboard sustained damage than it is that the keyboard is an issue for you. If the motherboard has an integrated network controller, this would bolster the suspicion of MB damage, and the network interface would have likely been an additional entry point for out of spec voltage levels.

royalflush1993

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
If your computer took a power surge during the storm, it's more likely that the motherboard sustained damage than it is that the keyboard is an issue for you. If the motherboard has an integrated network controller, this would bolster the suspicion of MB damage, and the network interface would have likely been an additional entry point for out of spec voltage levels.

I understand what you say, but my question is: Can I try anything to make the motherboard work at boot time? I works perfectly every time the system is booted up, I write even this post with it. I also solved the network adapter problem with an Ethernet-USB adapter. The only problem remains is that I can't boot from CD/USB drive.