[SOLVED] PC killing my keyboarddds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haytz

Prominent
Apr 21, 2021
Hey.

My PC or something else seems to ruins my keyboards.

D key starts making 2 or 3 letters and in the end it stops working sometimes. I had HyperX replace 3 keyboards cus i thought it was a facory fault. All 3 did the same.
When the 3rd failed as well. I bought another brand. Same thing happens now after 4 months.

Cant find anything on the webs about. So coming here with high hopes.
never had or heard of this before, with any other PC.
My PC is about 2.5 years old.

Solution
Not if it's In the OS. Which is why I suggested the AV check, if you have/had a virus or other malicious software on your pc, when you made the media creation file, it can get included also, so literally installing the same virus with every single windows install.

There are virus out there designated as Worms. They travel through OS or other OS related data like Adobe or Office programs, and can only activate at periodic times, like every time you hit the space bar or enter key the worm eats a bit/byte of data etc. Those can bypass some 'realtime' AV checks because it's inactive at the time of the check.

I could see an issue with usb power delivery if it had a wide range of issues. There's a lot connected to the usb bus, and you have...

Haytz

Prominent
Apr 21, 2021
On the first one A died slowly as well. Havent kept the others long enough i guess.
Fresh OS a few times yeah.

A m8 of mine had the theory that my USB ports might have to much output. But sounds wierd to me if that would allways hit the D key first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Like a psu, the usb ports only put out what's required, so if your kb only requires 0.01mA to work, that's what the usb will supply.

Fresh OS? From where. That can be important. If it's an actual fresh OS direct from MS every time, you could rule that out, but if it's the same OS pulled from the same usb stick, and not updated/refreshed and it has a corruption, you end up with the same corruption every time, whether that's actual data corruption or a hijack virus inherated from a questionable site like Kingwin.

Haytz

Prominent
Apr 21, 2021
No. Like a psu, the usb ports only put out what's required, so if your kb only requires 0.01mA to work, that's what the usb will supply.

Fresh OS? From where. That can be important. If it's an actual fresh OS direct from MS every time, you could rule that out, but if it's the same OS pulled from the same usb stick, and not updated/refreshed and it has a corruption, you end up with the same corruption every time, whether that's actual data corruption or a hijack virus inherated from a questionable site like Kingwin.

Makes sense.

OS is from MS on a USB. But wouldnt the corruption show right away if its the OS?

They worked fine for a couple of months. Then the D would start doin DD or DDD with one press goin into what it is now. Doubble letters and often failure on keypress.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not if it's In the OS. Which is why I suggested the AV check, if you have/had a virus or other malicious software on your pc, when you made the media creation file, it can get included also, so literally installing the same virus with every single windows install.

There are virus out there designated as Worms. They travel through OS or other OS related data like Adobe or Office programs, and can only activate at periodic times, like every time you hit the space bar or enter key the worm eats a bit/byte of data etc. Those can bypass some 'realtime' AV checks because it's inactive at the time of the check.

I could see an issue with usb power delivery if it had a wide range of issues. There's a lot connected to the usb bus, and you have other items plugged into the usb ports apart from just the kb. Something else would be affected, like the mouse or speakers or charging cables etc if it was a power delivery issue. And it would affect the kb as a whole, not individual keys.

The only other explanation I can think of is its you. WASD are the single most popular keys to use for a gamer, and sweaty fingers or eating pb&j while gaming etc or just very heavy punching of those keys in constant use can have an affect.

Solution

Haytz

Prominent
Apr 21, 2021
i have now run countless diffrent AV programs. Nothing found. Later this week ill do a fresh instal for the 10ths time with a freshly made USB key.
But if it is a virus of some sort. Wouldnt it be avtive right away? Im getting that it can eat data everytime you press a certain key. Not sure how it would then pic the D key to break first lol.

I was thinking it was me breaking the D as well as i use those the most ofc. But would REALLY surprise me if i could wear down one key on 4 keyboards in about 6-8 months lol.
Ive never seen or heard about this problem. And i have never worn down a keyboard. Even when i played 10 hours a day when i was young :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a puzzle for sure. Most would say 'oh, bad batch' but that won't make sense, different keyboards. So it's got to be the pc, but mouse hasn't fried, nothing else like the usb key hasn't fried and there's been different port use. Which only leaves software issues or physical abuse. Neither of which should be viable considering the time period.

I'm out of answers, guesses, assumptions and logical conclusions. Stumped. 🤔

Haytz

Prominent
Apr 21, 2021
It's a puzzle for sure. Most would say 'oh, bad batch' but that won't make sense, different keyboards. So it's got to be the pc, but mouse hasn't fried, nothing else like the usb key hasn't fried and there's been different port use. Which only leaves software issues or physical abuse. Neither of which should be viable considering the time period.

I'm out of answers, guesses, assumptions and logical conclusions. Stumped. 🤔

I know the feeling :D
Thanks alot for the ideas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.