May 19, 2021
So recently I was trying to create a boot drive to reinstall windows on my pen drive which after a couple attempts, stopped working and windows asked to format the drive before use. Whenever I tried doing so, it showed an error that windows was unable to complete the format. The format window is showing the correct size in this case but unable to format. The drive isn't even working on any of my laptops. I tried everything, cleaning it via cmd, creating a new partition through diskpart which it doesn't allow and asks for a format, which doesn't happen. Considering this one dead, I ordered a new pen drive. This happened while the pen drive was connected to the USB 3.0 port on my PC, which I later used with a hard drive to transfer data after restoring my Windows.

The new pen drive worked fine for 5 minutes and just to test if it's working properly, I tried copying some files. Now mid copy, an error appeared that the drive K: (the usb drive) was invalid and the pen drive now required a format to work. Just that this time, the size of the pen drive shows 64 MB in the format menu, rather than the original 28 GB. And again, I'm unable to format it or create any partitions and it won't work on my laptop either with the same error of windows being unable to format the drive. I tried using the diskpart and it says that the drive is of RAW format and even EASEUS partitionmaster fails at 95% while trying to initiate the pen drive.

Is my PC killing pen drives? Can this drive be recovered or is it dead? Are the USB ports faulty or are some drivers missing? Any help would be great or else, I'll just have to not put any pen drives on my system.

Tl;dr: One pen drive died promoting a format everytime I insert it which windows is unable to complete, pre and after a complete windows reset. A new pen drive ordered that got "killed" and now is acting as the same way as the last one.

May 19, 2021
have you tried them in another pc?

i have had weirdness with USB before where it stopped working on my PC but after a format of windows, and a few months later I tried it again and it worked.
Yes i tried using both of them in my laptop. It immediately prompts a format, which windows is unable to perform, basically the same errors as on my desktop PC.

May 19, 2021