PC lag spikes

Apr 4, 2018
I keep getting random lag spikes on a pretty good computer. I have an i7 6800, gtx 1080, 32 gigs of ram. I have no idea why I get them. I get them on every game. I have a 144hz 1440p monitor if that matters. The warmest my graphics card has got is 82C. It idles around 38C. My internet isn't amazing but it isn't bad enough to cause this. Please help!

Solution

I am not well versed with the prebuilt companies as I prefer to build my own, some companies do install software but most do not. I looked around the forums and it seemed like fps drops are from cyberpower seems to be caused by common issues (heat and drivers). I saw one person recommend rollback your gpu drivers which you could try. If you have like an old monitor (and cable) try those as well might be the monitor.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

Is it lag or is it an FPS drop. The difference is when you have a "lag" spike your ping will bounce up a ton. If it is FPS drop then your ping should remain the same during the spike. Also what motherboard do you have?

Apr 4, 2018
I can not see my ping in real time while playing so I honestly am not sure which is the problem. Looking at my frames while it is happening and I don't think they are dropping. I always forget to look though. My mother board is an asustek computer x99-e.

Apr 4, 2018
Okay, so when it is happening i am for sure doping frames. While playing Fortnite, I run at 183 FPS consistently, until i hit one of these spikes. When i hit the spikes my screen freezes for 4 sec or so and my frames show 60ish, but it is literally only one picture for the time. I played for 30 mins and got 7 of these spikes.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I've heard of this issue, try making sure you are on high performance instead of power saving if you are (http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297929/change-sleep-settings-or-create-modify-a-power-plan-in-windows-10?lang=en) try turning off antiviruses or monitor your task manager while gaming to see if they suck up your resources. Monitor your heat to see if your cpu or gpu is slowing down to prevent overheating. Finally, scan with antivirus to see if that finds anything.

These are a few solutions I found online that seemed like they could be culprits

Apr 4, 2018
So i was not on performance mode but i turned it on and I am still getting the spikes. Nothing is over heating according to the program i am using. No anti virus on and still spikes, No viruses detected.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I have one last solution that I can think of... you could try a clean boot (http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/228) this would stop all services which would allow us to see if it is a particular service bogging down your system. If this doesn't work you will need someone else's help as I am out of ideas.

Apr 4, 2018
Well thank you so much for the help. I was not able to try the last suggestion yet, but I appreciate the help. Will th ast clean boot basically reset my computer to new? Like empty hard drive and sad. Sorry I know like 30 percent about computers.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

A clean boot just stops all non-windows background programs from running temporarily. You are thinking of a reinstallment or a factory reset. You could try a factory reset it might help although I am not sure if it would help.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

I am not well versed with the prebuilt companies as I prefer to build my own, some companies do install software but most do not. I looked around the forums and it seemed like fps drops are from cyberpower seems to be caused by common issues (heat and drivers). I saw one person recommend rollback your gpu drivers which you could try. If you have like an old monitor (and cable) try those as well might be the monitor.

Solution