Question PC lagging.

May 20, 2022
I bought a used Dell Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 Pro. Ever since I powered this pc up its had intermittent lag. Randomly the mouse will freeze and jitter across the screen, sound will lag and crackle and same with video. Like the whole PC is lagging for awhile. And then it stops. And runs fine.

Customer service is closed till monday.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or fix it before monday? It did come with printed instructions on how to recover windows 10. Should I do that? Is it like reformatting? Will I lose the programs and saved settings? I've reformatted before. But would hate to go to all that hassle if I don't need too.

But if reformatting is what needs to be done I can do that. All I've really done is installed all my favorite programs and chose some settings. All my files are on an external drive.

It came with a 90 day warranty. And it was shipped from amazon. So I know I can return it. But obviously would prefer not too. I looked at win 10s troubleshooters. But nothing applied.

D

Deleted member 362816

Does it have a SSD or a HDD (mechanical drive)

download this, it is safe and look and see what the drive health says.

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Have you verified all drivers are up to date and/or tried drivers from the manufactures websites?
Also, any new hardware installed? I had an issue about a decade ago that sounds similiar and it was wireless card that I bought causing the issue.

May 20, 2022
Have you verified all drivers are up to date and/or tried drivers from the manufactures websites?
Also, any new hardware installed? I had an issue about a decade ago that sounds similiar and it was wireless card that I bought causing the issue.

I do have a cheap usb wifi adapter that came with the pc. I just unplugged as I'm now connected wired directly to the modem. Thank you. We'll see if this solves the problem.

Do I need to remove any drivers? Or is unplugging it and not using it enough?

TRENDING THREADS