[SOLVED] PC lags every second for a split second ?

thomas002

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Hello,

I would like help identifying what exactly is wrong with my PC, it has been working perfectly for almost 2 months, when I changed CPU&Motherboard.

System Windows 10 X64
Motherboard B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86)
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700
GPU GeForce GTX 660 Ti
RAM 2x8Go

Basically it seems like I lose the control of the PC for a short time very often in which it slows down, however I think the CPU is too hot, every day it goes over 90°C for a second.. and I think one of the 2 fans of the GPU just stopped spinning and nothing's blocking it, not even dust.

It may be cliché for someone experienced but I don't know what's at fault here. Are there extra informations or tests I should provide? Thank you for your time.

Solution
if you alread clean installed no reason to do it again. Assuming the picture on the left is the before run and the one on the right is the after run, it does appear that there are som losses in performance. (Definitely drastic changes but some are positive and some are negative.) I'd suggest looking at the disk usage to make sure its at 100%, and if so I wonder if your problem resides with your drives cache filling up. I believe AMD has a tool that allows you to use some of your ram as storage which may alleviate this problem, or you could also buy a new SSD. I'd suggest trying the AMD method first as its free, and if that fixes it buying an SSD as that will make sure you always have access to all of your ram.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Id suggest stress testing the cpu and monitoring the temps in msi afterburner. You can leave it for 20 mins or so (It should throttle and/or shutdown if temps get too high I think) and then check what your temps have been pushing. If when you check on it your computer has crashed you know its cpu related, and the same goes for if you have really high temps. (I'd google at what temps does a 3700 throttle, but as a rule I'd say once you get to 90C and above you've most likely found your problem unless dealing with a laptop.) Another thing you could try is reinstalling your fan control software to see if that's causing your fans to be weird, as well as resetting your BIOS settings/reinstalling your BIOS entirely.

thomas002

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks. So I did the stress test with msi afterburner open, results : 33c gpu, 71c cpu, they didn't get hotter.
I updated my BIOS.
With a GPU at a normal temperature I think I will deal with its non-spinning fan later.
I have still the big problems and it seems the longer the PC runs the slower it gets

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Maybe try running ATTO Disk Benchmark when you first turn on your computer and then again after an hour or so. See if there's a significant difference in their speed. Also what's your PSU wattage. Also as rg1101 asked, did you clean install? Its my understanding that weird problems can happen if you do not clean install after changing a mobo.

thomas002

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Thank you for the suggestion, the difference is insane, look at the picture

I don't know my PSU wattage and there may not be many ways to know, if it must be the PSU wattage problem I'll change, and yes I didn't do a clean install after changing a mobo and will do. I have only to clear a drive then install Windows on it?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
if you alread clean installed no reason to do it again. Assuming the picture on the left is the before run and the one on the right is the after run, it does appear that there are som losses in performance. (Definitely drastic changes but some are positive and some are negative.) I'd suggest looking at the disk usage to make sure its at 100%, and if so I wonder if your problem resides with your drives cache filling up. I believe AMD has a tool that allows you to use some of your ram as storage which may alleviate this problem, or you could also buy a new SSD. I'd suggest trying the AMD method first as its free, and if that fixes it buying an SSD as that will make sure you always have access to all of your ram.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS