[SOLVED] pc / laptop recommendation

Dec 7, 2020
hello guys
looking to build up a pc or get a laptop for non gaming around 500 usd. any recommendations about the components
Thanks in advance

Solution
If you're looking into a build, you should follow the stylization of this thread;
with relevant information and we can proceed forward.

If you're looking for laptop suggestions, you will need to open a thread in the laptop section following the stylization of this thread;

Trying to do two things in one thread will only cause you as well as the community to develop spaghetti brains.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking into a build, you should follow the stylization of this thread;
with relevant information and we can proceed forward.

If you're looking for laptop suggestions, you will need to open a thread in the laptop section following the stylization of this thread;

Trying to do two things in one thread will only cause you as well as the community to develop spaghetti brains.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
500 US dollars.

Will you have to buy Windows?

Will you have to buy a monitor?

At that price level, I'd probably lean toward buying a pre-built machine from Amazon or Costco or Newegg...........rather than build it myself. UNLESS you enjoy the building process and want to do it for that reason alone. You aren't likely to save any money at that price point.

I know very little about laptops.

If you build, at that price level:

Stick with Windows 10 Home.

Avoid traditional spinning hard drives. Get a name brand SSD, probably SATA and probably 2.5 inch variety....of whatever size you need for Windows, applications, and all of your data. Crucial, Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate.

Go with 8 GB (2 sticks of 4 gb) of DDR4 RAM, standard speed, maybe 2666.

Motherboard; a micro ATX board with a B series chipset should be fine for most users. Gigabyte or Asus; maybe Asrock or MSI.

Case: you might be able to save a bit by going with a smallish micro ATX case, but you could be forced to a standard ATX midtower, which would be fine.

Cooler; you can go with the included cooler (if any) or spend 50 or less on an aftermarket cooler. A factory cooler would be fine if you don't overclock and are not particularly sensitive to fan noise.

CPU: decide on this last, spending the last dime on it up to the limit of your budget. Maybe a recent generation Intel i-3 or low to mid level i-5.

Video card: none. Use the integrated capability on the CPU.

Windows alone is going to be at least 100 bucks from reliable sources, so it really helps if you don't need to buy it if you are building your own.

Edit............forgot the power supply. Probably 50 to 70 somewhere for a decent PSU in the 400 to 500 watt range. Lots of junk out there. Certain Corsair, Seasonic, Evga are OK.

You're going to really crowding 500 bucks if you need Windows, which points you more toward a pre-built.

Last edited:
Reactions: soma76968
Dec 7, 2020
500 US dollars.

At that price level, I'd probably lean toward buying a pre-built machine from Amazon or Costco or Newegg...........rather than build it myself. UNLESS you enjoy the building process and want to do it for that reason alone. You aren't likely to save any money at that price point.

Avoid traditional spinning hard drives. Get a name brand SSD, probably SATA and probably 2.5 inch variety....of whatever size you need for Windows, applications, and all of your data. Crucial, Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate.

Motherboard; a micro ATX board with a B series chipset should be fine for most users. Gigabyte or Asus; maybe Asrock or MSI.

Case: you might be able to save a bit by going with a smallish micro ATX case, but you could be forced to a standard ATX midtower, which would be fine.

Cooler; you can go with the included cooler (if any) or spend 50 or less on an aftermarket cooler. A factory cooler would be fine if you don't overclock and are not particularly sensitive to fan noise.

CPU: decide on this last, spending the last dime on it up to the limit of your budget. Maybe a recent generation Intel i-3 or low to mid level i-5.

Windows alone is going to be at least 100 bucks from reliable sources, so it really helps if you don't need to buy it if you are building your own.

Thanks .500 usd exclude monitor and windows

Dec 7, 2020
500 US dollars.

can you recommend processor name

can you recommend processor name

No need to get bogged down in that at this point.

Probably an Intel i3 from the last 2 or 3 years.

I'd take a walk through Costco or Amazon or Newegg and see what is within your budget and then post back here with a link so we can check it out.

If you absolutely insist on building it yourself, I'd choose the case, PSU, hard drive, and motherboard first.

The idea would be to see what everything EXCEPT the processor would cost and then buy the strongest possible processor that will fit that specific motherboard with every remaining dollar of your budget.

Where will you buy the parts from if you build it yourself??

Dec 7, 2020

I'd take a walk through Costco or Amazon or Newegg and see what is within your budget and then post back here with a link so we can check it out.

If you absolutely insist on building it yourself, I'd choose the case, PSU, hard drive, and motherboard first.

The idea would be to see what everything EXCEPT the processor would cost and then buy the strongest possible processor that will fit that specific motherboard with every remaining dollar of your budget.

online store ( may be amazon )

Dec 7, 2020

got the idea .

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
hello guys
looking to build up a pc or get a laptop for non gaming around 500 usd. any recommendations about the components
Thanks in advance
For a custom build its going to be an apu. This one offers 1080p 60fps in esports like fortnite, csgo, Minecraft and so.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3jgwMv
With a prebuilt, you can get a solid system with a discrete GPU but much less upgradeability. I would look at this one. It's a bit over budget but worth it for sure. Wayyyy better GPU than the custom build. They also have a less powerful one for $550
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-tg01-1070m-3g825av-1

Reactions: Nighthawk117