Question PC lights & fans power on for a split second, then turn off, repeatedly

gogurtpie

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
Hey all. Here is my build (everything is new except the GPU and PSU):

CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z390-A
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA 500W
SSD: WD Blue 500GB
Cooling: Corsair H100i

So, here is my issue... I plugged in everything and turned on. The fans would light up for a split second and work, and then turn off. It would continue doing this. The cooler and ram would not light up (although I think this is because they take longer to light up).

The only thing I was able to swap out was the cooling. I put in the Hyper 212. I also unplugged my GPU, SSD, and front fans because I thought it could be the PSU is not powerful enough?

When I did this, I discovered that when I unplug the PSU's cable to the CPU slot in the mobo, the ram lights up, the cooler and all fans work too.

But then as soon as I put power to the CPU, it keeps doing the same thing..

I thought maybe it was doing this because the CPU was not getting cooled, but switching the cooler did not help..
I also tried with just one stick of RAM, switching them out and trying them in each slot.
I also thought it was not enough power, but my friend has an almost identical build and their 500W PSU is fine...

I'm at a loss of things I could try... I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

gogurtpie

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
From my own eyes, I don't think they are bent. I'm just at a loss of what I can do. My PSU still works in my old i7-4400K build, with the same GPU. So since I tried to breadboard with the CPU, HSF, and PSU only, it must be the CPU or mobo right? the HSF is the same as in my current build, and it works fine.

I got them from different sellers though, and I'm not sure which to return/RMA.