Question PC lights up but monitor, keyboard & mouse don't work ?

Jun 3, 2022
Hello. I have bought a B360M-E TUF motherboard, 550W PSU, DDR4 2666 2x8 RAM, used i5-8600K.
Never overclocked it myself.

The problem used to be BSOD. Loading optimized defaults would cause BSOD. Having the voltages on Auto in BIOS would cause constant BSODs, fiddling with it to manual and lowering the voltage would clear the BSODs but if my PC would restart there would be no monitor/keyboard output, on the other hand, making the voltage higher the PC would be more stable.

I have no clue if I have purchased a faulty CPU but running it on only four cores. would also clear the BSODs. Not five. Now, I don’t know what I have messed up, but last time I remember upping the voltage to around 1.335 which would still cause BSODs and after that it never booted up again. PC spins to life, lights start up, no signal from the keyboard or the monitor though.

I do not have a speaker to hear any beeps, nor does the mobo have debug leds
I have tried almost everything, reseating ram, trying only one channel, trying without a GPU, tried a different motherboard, a different PSU, unplugged every sata cable, power cables to the hard drives, tried both of the RAM each while switching slots but still no sign of monitor/keyboard output.
There is no dust
Cleared CMOS
Held power button with unplugged/off PSU
Temps below 60
Checked for bent socket pins, processor looked fine
I have used Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and passed all the tests. Not sure if 4 or 6 cores.
I know my hard drives are not faulty
Reinstalled windows 10 more than 5 times. Somehow ended up on windows 11
Also has nothing to do with the OS

Before: Constant random BSOD crashes before startup/installation (when the circle starts spinning), mostly Kernel Security Check Failure
After: Computer does not POST/boot, no output

I’m really starting to think that my CPU is at fault, but the seller told me that the CPU never had any problems. (sus

Is there any way this could be troubleshooted? Keep in mind that I have bought a new motherboard just to try and fix the monitor output problem, which it did for a day or so. Buying a new one did not fix the BSODs though. With old motherboard it has been working fine for a few weeks and the CPU performed without any problems on all cores and just lowering the CPU frequency. Except the fact that at start I had BSODs on the old motherboard too but fixed them easily using some BIOS settings
Something’s up with it.

Should I just go for a new i5-8600k?
I’m starting to give up honestly
How to use CPU Parameter Recall?

Apologize for the length. Any help will be appreciated

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

550W is the advertised wattage of the unit, which is why we ask for it's make and model. On a secondary note, it seems you're working with used parts, if so, might want to mention their age as well. As for your reinstallation of Windows, where did you source the installer for the OS?

Somehow ended up on windows 11
You will need to recall how that happened.

BSOD's can and will happen with a corrupt OS, improper drivers, hardware issues and even overheating or the wrong voltages. How are you cooling that processor? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Reactions: kokotpicus
Jun 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

550W is the advertised wattage of the unit, which is why we ask for it's make and model. On a secondary note, it seems you're working with used parts, if so, might want to mention their age as well. As for your reinstallation of Windows, where did you source the installer for the OS?

Somehow ended up on windows 11
You will need to recall how that happened.

BSOD's can and will happen with a corrupt OS, improper drivers, hardware issues and even overheating or the wrong voltages. How are you cooling that processor? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Sorry,

CPU: i5-8600K (used item)
Motherboard: Asus B360M-E TUF Gaming
Ram: Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz DDR4 2x8
SSD/HDD: Samsung 128GB 830 Series, rest are old hard drives for storage
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3gb Dual Fan
PSU: Slientium Elementum E2 550W (before 450)
Chassis: DEEPCOOL Tesseract SW
Monitor: MSI G24 144HZ, tried different monitor as well as a different keyboard
Motherboard is brand new, processor used, GPU been using it for years without any problem, RAM came with the CPU
I’m using water cooling from an older pc building era, H50 Corsair
The reason why I installed windows 11 because I thought it would resolve my issue.
Tried both with rufus and with the media creation tool, none worked.
BIOS is latest version.
I would like to know how to revert BIOS settings as resetting CMOS does not help at all.

Jun 3, 2022
Hey. I took out the cpu for one last look and have realized that a bit has been hanging off. I touched it and the bit fell off. Shat myself.
IMG_4998.jpg

This can be fixed though, by microsoldering. Right?
Could this be the issue of why it’s not posting?
Really hope it is so I won’t have to get a new processor

Hey. I took out the cpu for one last look and have realized that a bit has been hanging off. I touched it and the bit fell off. Shat myself.
IMG_4998.jpg

This can be fixed though, by microsoldering. Right?
Could this be the issue of why it’s not posting?
Really hope it is so I won’t have to get a new processor
It's difficult to tell from that pic of the pad is torn. Take it to an electronics repair shop and see what they say.

Ralston18

Titan
Fixable: possible but unlikely.

You need someone with some serious soldering skills and you need to identify and find the correct replacement "part".

And with that CPU being used then another part could be faulty and/or fall off.

Hopefully you can get another CPU.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jun 3, 2022
Fixable: possible but unlikely.

You need someone with some serious soldering skills and you need to identify and find the correct replacement "part".

And with that CPU being used then another part could be faulty and/or fall off.

Hopefully you can get another CPU.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Will go to the electronics repair shop, called them, told me they can microsolder

Ralston18

Titan
Costs (parts and labor)?

How long to complete? Ask where the replacement part(s) come from?

Warranties? If the CPU fails in some manner will the shop repair the i5-8600K again? Or will they say that the problem was something else and not their doing....?

What will the shop put in writing?

Can you afford the costs of the repairs?

Consider that the monies may be better spent on another CPU.

A CPU known to work, with no visible damage, and with warranties.

Check CPU prices before going to the electronics shop. Check out that shop beforehand as well. Ask around: family, friends, co-workers.

You really have no way of knowing (unless you can really trust that shop) that they actually do some sort of replace/repair work and charge accordingly.

Far simpler for them to simply install another i5-8600K from who knows where and still charge what may be a much higher repair bill.

You would probably not know the difference.