• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question PC locked To 144hz from 240 from after opening Apex Legends

Oct 20, 2019
I have a 240hz monitor (XL2546) and it works perfectly with every game, and windows. However, if I open Apex Legends, it resets to 144hz and I can't change it back until I restart my PC. A similar problem happened on my 144hz as well, but it would go from 144 to 120 instead.
I'm using a displayport cable. I also can't go below 144, if I select any refresh rate, my monitor goes black for a moment, then comes back with no change to the refresh rate from 144hz. Also, when I change the resolution it will stay until I click something, then it will go black, and reset to 1920x1080 144hz.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
If you're playing in fullscreen mode, you need to use the FPS/refresh setting ingame to control the display mode, if there is a setting for it. If not, then the game doesn't support higher refresh rates in fullscreen mode.
Other players find success using -refresh 240 to do this but it doesn't do anything to fix my problem. My pc still gets locked to 144hz even if I switch to a game after launching Apex that supports higher refresh rates. I also can't use borderless windows, it just zooms in to the top left corner of my game and maximizes that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY