• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PC Locking Up - HELP!

dchun29

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017
I recently upgraded my entire system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dchun29/saved/Cz768d

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5600XT
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

All of a sudden, I am noticing that out of nowhere my computer locks up. The best way for me to describe it is as follows:

• Nothing on my taskbar functions. I can click and see the taskbar, but the time stays frozen and clicking the various buttons does nothing.
  • Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the blue menu screen, but clicking Task Manager only opens the task manager, I can't do anything within it.
  • I can move the mouse around and click icons on the desktop, though it takes a few extra double-clicks to open an app. I can't do anything in the app or program once it opens (i.e. if I open chrome, I can't type a website or click any of my favorites)
  • Visually, everything seems functional, but nothing actually works
  • I cannot use the start button to restart or log out - the start button opens the power options, but when I click restart, nothing happens
-the only thing I can do to fix this temporarily is to hit the reset button on my case and let the system start up again. And even then, it starts up but seems to be buggy (I can't really describe it) so then I have to reset it again.

I honestly have not even the slightest clue on how to troubleshoot this issue. I actually went out and ordered a new Mobo just in case. I've tried rolling back the AMD Chipset driver based on some treads I've read. I reinstalled windows 3 times, because the first two times the sfc/scannow had corrupt files that were unfixable. Now, I'm just completely clueless.

Would love some advice or help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS