[SOLVED] PC locks up - Starts as a soft lock and slowly lose total control

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Savage One

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
look at this before changing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

3 things can happen if you move drives over like that.
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has strange problems
  3. it doesn't work at all.
Its normally best to clean install on new hardware as then you get all new drivers and benefit of newer hardware. Might suck but if you know you have to start again, you can make lists of programs you use, any passwords you may need.

ideally you have 2 drives in PC, you can copy anything you want to move onto other drive and put it in new build.
Okay, I gotcha thanks. I feel this is the thing i'm most ignorant of when it comes to PCs, so I suppose it's a good chance to learn.

That last line, you mean essentially move anything on the C: drive to another? C: being windows... does reinstalling windows only affect the C: drive?

Colif

Win 10 Master
That last line, you mean essentially move anything on the C: drive to another? C: being windows... does reinstalling windows only affect the C: drive?
Yes. Installs only touch C drive. Anything on other hdd will be left there. Windows however won't know the info is there so no point installing programs on 2nd hdd as they won't work on new PC.

Only save data like documents, music, pictures, movies.. things you don't want to make again or lose.

When you get new PC, only have the ssd/nvme you want windows in PC when you install windows.
After it boots fine a few times, then attach the 2nd hdd and use the info from before.

Savage One

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
look at this before changing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

3 things can happen if you move drives over like that.
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has strange problems
  3. it doesn't work at all.
Its normally best to clean install on new hardware as then you get all new drivers and benefit of newer hardware. Might suck but if you know you have to start again, you can make lists of programs you use, any passwords you may need.

ideally you have 2 drives in PC, you can copy anything you want to move onto other drive and put it in new build.
Well dude, last message I'll send, writing this from my PC with a new motherboard and processor :) Windows worked without a hitch. Thanks for all of your help, couldn't be more grateful. Cheers, my man.

ASK THE COMMUNITY