[SOLVED] PC locks up - Starts as a soft lock and slowly lose total control

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Over the past few weeks my PC has gotten to where it will randomly (more often when idle) lock itself up. I notice because any RGB elements that are controlled are turned off. When it happens I cannot open or close programs, but I can still use any that are open. Eventually no program will respond, then later still I lose control of peripherals. Once it "begins" the only way to shut down or restart my PC is by cutting power, windows will close programs but not actually shut down.

Windows 10
RTX 3080 oc'd
i7-5820k oc'd
NZXT c850W PSU
MSI SLI Plus x-99a motherboard
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Samsun 512 GB SSD
2 Tb WD HDD

All drives are healthy, all CPU / GPU temps are fine.

I reduced my CPU overclock and it seemed to lengthen time between lock ups, but it quickly became more frequent again, I suppose it could be CPU degradation, would be a big help if anyone could confirm, or if this was a placebo.

Windows event viewer is somewhat inconclusive. Last event before the last lockup was *Failed to initialize LanternRock SDK: 0x00040201. Reason: S_NO_OPTIN (telemetry not opted-in) * but I cannot find anything on google about that.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
cpu is troublesome part of PC, we sort of checked the other normal suspects.

i tried to play an ARPG made in 2010 on my 4k screen and it was too small. That and to account for larger screen drawing size, i could see way more of surrounding area at any time, meaning you couldn't run off screen to avoid things as you would just run into another group.

I think we done here. Unless it starts throwing BSOD and then we might have something to work with.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
i downloaded it, still empty
W4YVMCR.jpg

I think it works on your PC as the original files are there, so it might have links to the files that only work on that PC.

I am trying to make instructions as clear as possible.
Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...mp-files/4fa29523-c33f-46a0-b569-447ec1030b34
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ElXFhFmnfbgK1n9Tm9aT3waGh0ht_Bg8/view?usp=sharing

Reactions: Colif

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/Lkb6ages/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:012321-45953-01.dmp (Jan 23 2021 - 03:08:32)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: EscapeFromTarkov.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

Comments:
  • The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)
  • The overclocking driver "XtuAcpiDriver.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
  • The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
  • The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-SLI-PLUS.html
You are using BIOS version 1.8. The latest stable BIOS is version 1.E. We usually recommend avoiding Beta versions unless there is a specific need for them. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/Lkb6ages/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:012321-45953-01.dmp (Jan 23 2021 - 03:08:32)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: EscapeFromTarkov.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

Comments:
  • The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)
  • The overclocking driver "XtuAcpiDriver.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
  • The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
  • The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)
Possible Motherboard page: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-SLI-PLUS.html
You are using BIOS version 1.8. The latest stable BIOS is version 1.E. We usually recommend avoiding Beta versions unless there is a specific need for them. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Well thank you, I was playing Escape from Tarkov so, perhaps x)

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats what crashed, so yeah. It is only the victim, very rarely exe files cause BSOD.

is the overclock only in bios?
Cause you probably don't need Intel extreme tuning if it is.
Do you use Afterburner or MSI live update? some of the files we see are in both

Crash sort of didn't tell me anything.
have i suggested a bios update already? it can fix whea errors ... wonder how the bios would react to that since it freezes if you remove the settings.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
thats what crashed, so yeah. It is only the victim, very rarely exe files cause BSOD.

have i suggested a bios update already? it can fix whea errors ... wonder how the bios would react to that since it freezes if you remove the settings.
The overclock is just in the BIOS, I was using Intel Extreme Tuning to validate the the overclocks with a stress test... as well as memory, but I gave up on the memory a long time ago

I use Afterburner for my GPU, yeah, honestly not really sure what MSI live update is, I've never used it or installed it... pretty sure.

You have not suggested a BIOS update, and I agree, I feel like it could just brick my whole system.

The BSOD was perhaps an anomaly though, I've only ever had a BSOD from pushing overclocks too far before, though I'm not quite sure what "memory corruption" is. I don't like coincidences though, so I'm not really sure what to think. It's semi-feasible for me to just upgrade sometime soon, my 5820k would be a bit old even if I hadn't have it overclocked, but I would hold off If I could have found a simple solution.

The lockups are so "random" though. Most frequently it's if I'm watching a Twitch stream, I'd say like 70% of them, always watching Twitch. a good 20% of them are when I'm doing something with my TV on the other side of the room, be it using a console or watching TV. The other 10% are in the middle of the night, once or twice. Never once happened while playing a game, or doing anything else on my PC besides watching something on Twitch.

I guess that would be the opposite of random, perhaps I just mean.. seemingly unrelatable.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

Do you think in any way this could be a power issue? As in.. my power supply isn't getting enough power?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what make/model PSU is it?

i see memory corruption on a lot of bsod, it may not mean anything special.
try removing intel extreme if you not using it anymore. You never know, it might be problem.
Your motherboard too old to benefit from MSI live update anyway, i think even MSI replaced it now.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
what make/model PSU is it?

i see memory corruption on a lot of bsod, it may not mean anything special.
try removing intel extreme if you not using it anymore. You never know, it might be problem.
Your motherboard too old to benefit from MSI live update anyway, i think even MSI replaced it now.
PSU is an NZXT c850 ... pretty sure Sea sonic makes the PSU and NZXT slaps their logo on it.

I'll uninstall the Intel tuning, though I've had it for quite some time, but I haven't used it in a while so I'm down to try.

I was wondering about power, I'm breaking cardinal rule and have a lot of things plugged into the same outlet, as I really have no other choice... but including an A/C unit, though I never run it while PC is under a load.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seasonic make very few bad PSU. My last 2 have been theirs. That one is indeed made by them. And its only a few months old. I doubt its cause then. Most Seasonic PSU can push above their rated weight, I only have a 750 but it could run to 840 until it shuts off. Not that we need that much. 850 is way more than you need.

Glad it isn't a gamesmax or anything and I had just found out now you had a bad PSU... (Note: you don't have a bad PSU, I am just saying)

don't want to start any fires either. Not sure I would run an A/C on same plug as a PC, it could lead to surges. Seasonic PSU have all the protections but still.

Last edited:

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Seasonic make very few bad PSU. My last 2 have been theirs. That one is indeed made by them. And its only a few months old. I doubt its cause then. Most Seasonic PSU can push above their rated weight, I only have a 750 but it could run to 840 until it shuts off. Not that we need that much. 850 is way more than you need.

Glad it isn't a gamesmax or anything and I had just found out now you had a bad PSU... (Note: you don't have a bad PSU, I am just saying)

don't want to start any fires either. Not sure I would run an A/C on same plug as a PC, it could lead to surges. Seasonic PSU have all the protections but still.
Yeah, I know, I have the same concerns but I have literally no choice living in an apartment like this. I've done it for a couple years though so I guess it's fine.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

Welp, it's locking up several times a day now, as opposed to once every week or so, guess it's time to start shopping for another.. thanks for your help anyways, my guy.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
you can't help your date system, its not your fault :)

I got those 2 last week.
this is as useless as ever - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...9042-804-87fc8417-4a81-0ebb-5baa-40cfab2fbfde
the other ones updates .Net - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-20h2-7d61f856-72ce-7f4c-7e43-76f8aadf2aca

If we knew what problem was we might know why it started again. Updates can include drivers so maybe a new one set the system off again.
It COULD be a coincidence, but I don't like those, although it has only done it once since, about 24 hours. Like you say though, something is probably just unstable and it set it off again. Just thought maybe seeing Windows could have set it off again might give some indication, but I know we've already narrowed it down quite a bit. Thanks for taking a look for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I read thread again to remember what story is.

the pc that can't run unless overclocked. I remember now... we did test almost everything. And I suggested a store. And you said you might... so its not really fixed, it just stopped. Now it might stop again and just happen after every windows update... once a month. When system is disturbed by changes.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

the pc that can't run unless overclocked. I remember now... we did test almost everything. And I suggested a store. And you said you might... so its not really fixed, it just stopped. Now it might stop again and just happen after every windows update... once a month. When system is disturbed by changes.
Yeah, hasn't done it since, the BSODs while playing a very particular game have subsided a bit as well since this all happened. Weird. Maybe when it locked up to being with my first instinct was to revert the OC and it only made it worse, leaving it where it's happy is probably the solution.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

I have one last question if you don't mind, since you're the Windows expert! :p

Say I get a new motherboard and processor... before replacing it all I tell windows that I'm about to change the hardware. I do, then replace everything and boot back in on the same drive, does windows remember program paths and all doing this? What's the benefit as opposed to just reinstalling windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
look at this before changing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

3 things can happen if you move drives over like that.
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has strange problems
  3. it doesn't work at all.

Its normally best to clean install on new hardware as then you get all new drivers and benefit of newer hardware. Might suck but if you know you have to start again, you can make lists of programs you use, any passwords you may need.

ideally you have 2 drives in PC, you can copy anything you want to move onto other drive and put it in new build.