[SOLVED] PC locks up when CPU usage drops

soojooko

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
Hello all. My PC has recently started exhibiting some very strange behaviour. I'll do my best to explain. When running any app/game that uses the CPU to any reasonable degree ( say 50-60%+ ) for more than 5 minutes or so, and then the app/game is exited, my PC locks up and requires a hard reset. While the app is running, there are no issues. Temps are always below 55 ( even when the CPU is at 100% ) and the app runs flawlessly. The last time it happened I was playing a game for over 2 hours with no issues. It's only once I exit the app/game and CPU usage drops, the PC locks up. It's very strange.

In my 20+ years of PC gaming, and building my own PCs, I've never come across anything like this before. Does anybody know what could be causing this? Is it likely a hardware or Win10 problem?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Solution
well the CPU has only little pads, so, nothing to bend there...

Seriously best of luck on trying to straighten stuff inside the mainboard's socket....

(Did you perhaps drop something onto/into the socket prior to placing the CPU in it?)

soojooko

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
So.... I took everything apart, and lo-and-behold - one of the pins in the CPU socket was quite badly bent. I'm guessing there's the issue right there. Gutted, as the motherboard was brand new. I have been a little careless putting the CPU in. I've had some success fixing bent pins before ( as well as some failures! ) so hopefully, I can get this working again and I haven't damaged the CPU.

Last edited:
well the CPU has only little pads, so, nothing to bend there...

Seriously best of luck on trying to straighten stuff inside the mainboard's socket....

(Did you perhaps drop something onto/into the socket prior to placing the CPU in it?)

Solution

soojooko

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
Yep. I managed to straighten the pin. Everything working as expected now. What a relief!

I'm sure I didn't drop anything in the socket. I would wager the MB was like that when I got it. But its difficult getting an RMA for a bent pin. I figured I should at least try, and if I fail I'll attempt to return it. Luckily the story had a happy ending! :)