Question PC locks up when going to sleep, then completely freezes or gets stuck in an infinite loop during bootup, also restarts itself

Nov 5, 2022
System Specs:

MOBO: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 (EVGA)
RAM - 32gb corsair vengeance DDR4 3600mhz (4x 8gb)
Storage Drive: Only 1 - it's a 1tb Intel NVME SSD - also where im booting windows from (installed directly below my GPU)

Backstory:

I bought my PC as a pre-built off of Newegg summer of 2021. Other than having to change the position of the AIO CPU cooler from the top to the front of the case, I haven't had any issues with it until now.

I normally don't turn my computer off at night, instead letting it go to sleep so that I can access it via Google Remote Desktop from work. About a month ago, I noticed one day at work that it was showing offline on Remote Desktop. When I got home, the computer appeared to still be in sleep mode, but nothing would wake it up. I manually restarted it via the power button, and didn't think anymore about it. However the next day, same thing. Any time I let the computer go to sleep at night, it was a surefire bet that it would either lock up while asleep and I wouldn't be able to wake it shy of manually restarting it, or at some point it would apparently restart itself, because I would find it on what I can only describe as the "2nd motherboard screen" completely locked up. [Simply for context, my computer seems to have 3 screens during startup. 1 -> Screen showing motherboard logo, where I can press f2 or del to enter UEFI. 2-> Screen showing motherboard logo, but only has a circle of spinning dots that spin around until advancing to the windows login screen. 3 -> Windows login screen]

Leaving a game open at night was originally preventing the computer from going to sleep, thus avoiding the problem. Once I finally do get it to let me into Windows, 99% of the time it runs completely fine, however 3 times so far over the last several weeks - it has completely restarted itself while in use, with no apparent pattern of what causes it. Once while playing a video game, twice while simply browsing the web.

Now, however - that no longer seems to be the case. The last several nights that I've left a game open, I've woken up the next morning to it being locked up on the "2nd motherboard screen", with the circle of dots frozen and my only option being restarting it via the power button.

The problem:

When I restart the computer, sometimes it will boot up like normal and be fine until it inevitably locks up when not being used. Other times it takes me 3-4 attempts in which I restart the computer via the power button, it makes it to the spinning dots and either completely freezes up, or the dots will just spin endlessly and after a few minutes i'll have to restart and try again. And then twice now, I've had evenings where it took 30+ attempts to get it to successfully let me into Windows.

Things I've tried so far to diagnose it:

Ran CHKDSK - found a few problems and downloaded some files but my booting/locking up problems continued

Downloaded Crystal Disk Info to check my SSD - Said drive health was "good" at 98%

Tried restarting without any USB devices plugged in - no help

Reseated every input going into the motherboard (USB's, HDMI for monitor 2, display port for the main monitor, optical connections for my speakers) - no help

Reseated all 4 sticks of RAM - no help

Tried booting up with different sticks of RAM - oddly, the computer wouldn't POST with only 1 stick of RAM, I tried all 4 sticks in various RAM slots, and couldn't get it to even show the 1st motherboard screen. There's a set of LED lights on my mobo that are supposed to help diagnose issues, the orange one is specifically for a RAM problem. Any time I tried to boot with only 1 stick of RAM, the orange light stayed on and the computer wouldn't do anything. I did however get it to successfully boot with 2 sticks of RAM (though this failed twice as well), and had the lockup/dots spinning endlessly issue when booting with both sets of 2. Another strange thing is that once I installed all 4 sticks of RAM back in, during the 4 LED's cycling, they normally go Orange -> Red -> White -> Green, a few of the times they would revert back to orange before continuing through the cycle, it had not done this on earlier attempts.
Used a piece of metal to short the CLRTC jumper - did this early into my attempts to boot up last night. Not sure if this is relevant, but I noticed after 20+ failed attempts to boot up last night, that after I shorted the jumpers that, it reset my DOCP to "disabled". Once I switched DOCP to profile 1 from disabled, the computer booted up within 2 attempts after 30+ failed.

Update my BIOS to the latest version - no affect

Things I've been unable to successfully do to help diagnose:

"Refresh my pc" via automatic recovery - while the computer will boot into the automatic recovery tool every few startup attempts, it almost never actually lets me into the tool itself, and the few times that it has - the computer completely locks up or restarts itself before I can start the recovery process.

Reinstall windows via bootable USB - I made a bootable USB to try to do a clean reinstall of Windows, but so far I've never gotten the computer to successfully boot from a USB, out of 10-15 attempts, it's locked up every time (though I haven't tried again since re-enabled DOCP in UEFI)

Run memtest86 - I haven't made the USB for it, but since I couldn't get the windows creation tool to boot from USB, I assumed it would be the same for memtest

Event log

This is a picture of my Windows Event Log, set to System logs and to filter only Errors. I'm not sure if this is helpful in anyway but every time it locks up while asleep it seems to trigger the 6008 - unexpected shutdown event.

Any help would be very, very appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the make and model of your PSU? I'm assuming the PSU is as old as the build meaning from 2021. Try working with 2 sticks of ram in slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard.

Other than having to change the position of the AIO CPU cooler from the top to the front of the case, I haven't had any issues with it until now.
Can you include an image of how the AIO is oriented in your chassis?

Nov 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the make and model of your PSU? I'm assuming the PSU is as old as the build meaning from 2021. Try working with 2 sticks of ram in slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard.

Other than having to change the position of the AIO CPU cooler from the top to the front of the case, I haven't had any issues with it until now.
Can you include an image of how the AIO is oriented in your chassis?

Absolutely, the PSU is an EVGA Supernova per the user manual that came with it, but I'm not sure if it's a 700w or 850w, as there's a shroud covering it inside the case that seems to be screwed down. Is there any way within windows to verify what size it is? Here's a link to a similar one on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g1-120-gp-0850-x1-850w/p/N82E16817438133

Edit: Also yes, it's as old as the build. It's the same PSU that came in the system.

As far as the AIO, I'm not home currently so I can't take a picture, I can do that in about 4 hours - but if you don't need an actual picture - it would be something like this:

|-------------- {}()||
|-------------- {}()|| front of case
|-------------- {}()||

If looking at the case from the side. The || indicate the side of the case itself, and would appear to be the "front" if looking at it from straight on, where the () are the chassis fans (3 of them), and the AIO shown as {} is mounted vertically, directly behind them inside the chassis.

I will try a2 and b2 again tonight when I get home, but I believe that is the configuration that I finally got the computer to POST in last night, but I will absolutely try again and confirm here when I get home.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS