Question PC Lockup, Freeze, Then loads slowly. Help needed.

Aug 25, 2019
Hi, recently I've moved over from builds.
I've been experiencing issues since. I figured I'd list off all of the issues I've had specifically to see if someone could help or point out areas where these issues may be coming from.

Old Build Spec Sheet
Motherboard: MSI G970 Gaming
CPU: AMD FX4300 + Standard CPU Fan
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance - 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black

Original Issue Details
Apart from games crashing all the time due to something to do with the GPU thing were fine, slow but fine.

New Build Spec Sheet
Motherboard: Asus H81M-C
CPU: i5 4590
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black

Current Issue Details
Since moving over I've added a new HDD that's wiped, 120GB SSD, & 1TB WD.
I at first moved motherboards and most parts over without taking the time to do a fresh install of Windows, and while everything ran fine for a couple of weeks I ran into the issue where games would just completely lock up forcing me to have to do a hard reset of the PC.

A week later I caved in, formatted all drives, and did a fresh clean Windows install. After doing this I have been experiencing issues with games that are unlike what I was originally dealing with.
While I was having issues with games locking up on my first install of the parts, when the computer would lock up I couldn't do your standard Ctrl + Alt + Del to Task Manager, I'd have to completely shut down.

With these new issues the PC will stay running but will lock up hard enough to the point I can press Ctrl + Alt + Del.
This doesn't help or do anything, when the computer locks up programs won't respond.
I don't get any error message, with the AMD build I'd get an error usually saying something around the lines of

"Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware".
I don't even get these errors anymore. It's just a random freeze, crash, log out, try again, same thing happens.

I've since thought that it could be the GPU. I used to have to wrestle hard with it to pull it from any of my AM3+ boards which may have put it in some rough shape. I'm not positive on that though.
I'd like some feedback, I think my assumption about the GPU may be correct and these could be signs of it being defective but I'd like to get some feedback before proceeding with anything, thank you.

ASK THE COMMUNITY