Pc looks for non existent drive

Phil G

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello,
XP computer states that the E drive is not accessible every time the PC is re-booted. Will show error message as many as six times?

Solution
Phil,
You didn't mention anything about your PC's configuration, but my guess is that "E" was probably a USB "thumb" drive or a mapped network drive that you used recently to either load or save software or data. Some programs (or XP itself) that maintain "MRU" (Most Recently Used) lists are trying to reference it during their initialization. First, note which applications are reporting the error. Then, if it was a thumb drive, reinsert it, or if it was a mapped drive make sure the other computer is up and accessible via the network, then see if the errors go away.

This can happen with folders as well as drives, such as when you do a saveAs someplace, then move, rename or delete the folder. The only way to clear an MRU reference...

djhill8262

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Phil,
You didn't mention anything about your PC's configuration, but my guess is that "E" was probably a USB "thumb" drive or a mapped network drive that you used recently to either load or save software or data. Some programs (or XP itself) that maintain "MRU" (Most Recently Used) lists are trying to reference it during their initialization. First, note which applications are reporting the error. Then, if it was a thumb drive, reinsert it, or if it was a mapped drive make sure the other computer is up and accessible via the network, then see if the errors go away.

This can happen with folders as well as drives, such as when you do a saveAs someplace, then move, rename or delete the folder. The only way to clear an MRU reference through normal usage is to have the application(s) reference something else. As you use your applications, eventually that will happen naturally, and the errors will go away on her own.

If you're determined to get rid of the errors now it is also possible to do that by editing the registry, but based on the brevity of your question I'd recommend having a professional do it, or use one of the many free "registry cleaner" utilities out there (just be careful where you download it from!)

Solution

Phil G

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

You were exactly correct. I reinserted the thumbdrive. "Correctly removed it (using the safely remove usb icon) and the problem is gone. Thanks so much.