Question PC loses connection for a few seconds intermittently

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
An issue began a few days ago where my internet will seemingly be lose for a second or less every now and then with no consistent time frame.

When simply browsing the net, watching videos, and the like, the issue is essentially unnoticeable. Yet, it becomes a problem when gaming in MMOs like Star Wars the Old Republic. Where that second is enough to throw me out of the game. Or in discord, when messages are not sent or received for a few moments.

Now, I have figured out that the issue is solely on my PC. As the issue doesn't seem to occur on my laptop, which is connected to the same router and while running the same games.

My PC is normally connected through ethernet, but whether through ethernet connect or wireless the issue persists.

I have run programs like Event Viewer, Resource Monitor, and Performance Monitor in order to monitor what occurs whenever connection drops, yet as far as I can tell there is nothing strange going on. No errors clearly present.

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Try another known working ethernet cable between router and PC.

Has the computer ever been opened up for cleaning and reseating? Components creep loose over time - may be getting loose enough to cause problems.

A different ethernet cable hasn't helped, and it has been opened up and cleaned and all that not very long ago.

Ralston18

Titan
Intermittent disconnects are difficult to diagnose. With the problem being confined to the PC that does make the troubleshooting a bit simpler.

Try running the built-in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

If that does not work go into the start up tab (Task Manager) and disable any apps being run in the background. If the disconnects stop - good.

Then enable the start-up apps one at a time, over time, to see if the disconnects start again. If so, then you will know which app may be at fault.

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Intermittent disconnects are difficult to diagnose. With the problem being confined to the PC that does make the troubleshooting a bit simpler.

Try running the built-in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

If that does not work go into the start up tab (Task Manager) and disable any apps being run in the background. If the disconnects stop - good.

Then enable the start-up apps one at a time, over time, to see if the disconnects start again. If so, then you will know which app may be at fault.

Troubleshooter came up with nothing. Disabling all start-ups affected nothing.

What AV are you running? Any third-party firwalls? Any torrent downloaders in the background? Any apps that share files over your network/the internet running (dropbox, OneDrive, etc)? Does your network icon in the taskbar actually say "disconnected" or do you just feel the loss of connection (can't access anything)?

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
What AV are you running? Any third-party firwalls? Any torrent downloaders in the background? Any apps that share files over your network/the internet running (dropbox, OneDrive, etc)? Does your network icon in the taskbar actually say "disconnected" or do you just feel the loss of connection (can't access anything)?

The icon does not switch to disconnected, it stays the same. I have McAfee as a third-party firewall. I have no torrent downloaders running in the background. No file sharing that I know of.

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Windows will almost always say that. It only looks for Microsoft approval. You would want to look at the motherboard manufacturer or PC manufacturer's site.

I ended up updating some drivers but still no solution to the problem.

Some days seem to go on fine for hours, but then suddenly hit a wall and it starts disconnecting again. Though, I have come to believe that running Makwarebytes AdwCleaner and letting it run the basic repairs seems to alleviate the problem for a while following the restart, but its never a permanent fix and I can't really tell if it helps or it's just a coincidence.

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Just to confirm, what Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, and or Cleanup programs have been running since the problem started? Do you mind sending a screenshot of your Startup Tab in Task Manager?

Well, I had McAfee. I installed and ran Malwarebytes because it was suggested elsewhere as a possible solution. I have had for quite some time and did run CCleaner when it first started occurring.

Nothing else other than those.

Crazymajor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Just to confirm, what Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, and or Cleanup programs have been running since the problem started? Do you mind sending a screenshot of your Startup Tab in Task Manager?

Should have probably mentioned this in the main post but I'm running Windows 7 not 10 so no startup tab in task manager but this is my startup stuff in the System Config

https://puu.sh/E4tpC/0d818ee3d7.png

https://puu.sh/E4tq3/5b74ab2c53.png

https://puu.sh/E4tqK/30c3c6ac0f.png

https://puu.sh/E4ts6/cca006cbe3.png