Question PC loses display then requires hard reset to boot back up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MassMayhem

Honorable
Dec 9, 2015
Recently I've had a problem when using my PC. I'll use it like normal and the display to both my monitors will randomly cut out showing a black screen instantly, and my monitors prompt me with the image that theyre going to sleep, yet my computer fans and leds remain on. The only way to get it out of this state is to hard reset it. After hard resetting it will usually boot up into windows repair mode and upon clicking continue to windows it will immediately black screen again. It will take a couple attempts of restarting it for it to boot all the way to the login screen. After using it, it will randomly black screen again at the most random times. Sometimes it will work normally though. For example, yesterday I was playing COD: Modern warfare and it ran perfectly. Only until today, while using chrome, the computer first randomly hard restarted itself, and then continued black screening and barely booting again. What is the issue?

I've tried reinstalling windows, installing any updates, updating BIOS, etc. but to no avail.

My specs are:

GPU: Radeon Vega 64

MOBO: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Socket LGA1151) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Intel Motherboard with LED Lighting

RAM: CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.0GHz DDR4 Desktop Memory - Black

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 9th Generation 8-Core - 8-Thread 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) Socket LGA 1151 Unlocked Desktop Processor

PSU: EVGA - GQ Series 850W ATX12V/ EPS12V 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black

SSD: Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (OS installed)