Question PC made an increasingly loud screeching sound while playing a AAA game.

Oct 7, 2019
I was playing Assasin's Creed: Origins for around 2-3 hours but I usually ended up playing longer 4-8hrs
Earlier this morning I played the game again but this time interrupted by an increasing screeching noise from my computer it sounded like a scratching but very loud. I was worried that It may burn or damage a part/s so I decided to shut it down immediately after saving/closing the game.

I opened it up again few hours later and I have not experienced the said problem, the only difference this time is i'm just using the browser and checking out If what could be the probable cause of it. I still have no Idea, I already checked my GPU fans if they ever were the cause, increasing the fan curve up to 100% on Afterburner and did not produce any sound like it. checked my Harddrive if it was the culprit using HD sentinel and it says it's at 100% health and no problems. I suspect that It could be my PSU or the PSU fan. But I also have encountered my HDD making a vibrating sound before but stopped when I applied pressure on the Drive bay. It could be loose. but when sent it to the shop I bought it from they saw no problem but the sound this time was very loud and far loud comparing it to the sound it made before. this time it was an increasingly loud screeching sound as if there was something metallic rubbing on each other.

I haven't tried playing the game again since it happened. I'd look into it but I'd still like your insight of what could be the probable cause of my problem. I might as well move the game onto my SSD and check if my HDD was the actual problem if not, I highly doubt it was the other parts of my system.

Here's my specs:

Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 running at stock
GPU: ROG Strix RTX 2060 also at stock
Ram: 2x 8GB 2400 RAM(I know, and I plan to upgrade it later)
Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 970EVO Plus
HDD is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
PSU: Seasonic S12ii 620W 80+ Bronze
Running on a Windows 10 pro OS.

Thanks in advance everyone.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS