Question PC makes a "Device disconnected" sound when I check the voltage ?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My PSU is connected to a US power plug to Indian converter because the PSU has a US standard power plug. The converter has four power sockets.

Whenever I check the power of the other three sockets with a multimeter, the PC makes a device disconnected sound. The lights of my mouse also go red for a moment. (My mouse is the Zebronics Transformer)

What could be causing this?

My specs:
Zebronics H61 Motherboard
Core i3 3240
Cooler Master V2 bronze 450 watt
12 GB DDr3 RAM
GT 1030 EXOC white

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Multimeters are basically huge resistors, 1-100 MOhms, when put into a circuit they shouldn't allow too much current to pass through, but some will to be measured. Might be enough to cause issues if you are measuring across neutral and hot.

If the converter is actively making 120VAC at 60hz instead of 230v at 50hz, well then it really depends on how the circuit is doing it. Some sort of buck converter on a transformer I would imagine.

Still, most computer electronics are 100-240 volts 50/60hz capable. Just check your PSU and anything else you want to plug in, buy the appropriate cables and skip the converter.

Your PSU certainly fits the bill.

My PSU is connected to a US power plug to Indian converter because the PSU has a US standard power plug. The converter has four power sockets.

Whenever I check the power of the other three sockets with a multimeter, the PC makes a device disconnected sound. The lights of my mouse also go red for a moment. (My mouse is the Zebronics Transformer)

My specs:
Core i3 3240
12 GB DDr3 RAM
GT 1030 EXOC white
It sounds to me like the meter you are using has low impedance.
I don't think what is happening should happen and normally doesn't in my world.
Putting a 1 MOhm load (which is the minimum the meter should be) across the AC should have virtually zero effect.
I would try a different meter.

Edit: I'm actually a little surprised your meter isn't damaged. For the meter to drop the voltage and make your lights go red....I would think it would have to sink an amount of energy that would damage the meter.

My specs:
Core i3 3240
12 GB DDr3 RAM
GT 1030 EXOC white

What else is plugged into the same "converter" other than the PC?