PC makes grinding sound

ChloricDread29

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Not every time, but sometimes when I boot my PC it makes a weird loud grinding sound. It used to only do this when I haven't turned my PC on for ages, but it made this sound twice today, and I can fix it just buy turning the PC on and off again. Why is this? Thanks

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Need more info than this.
Maybe take a picture of the insides or list all it's components.

First thing possible is failing fan bearings or maybe fan hitting something.

bad hard drive...

Failing water cooling pump...

PC's not have many moving parts so this should not be so hard to diagnose.
Open up and listen where it's coming from.

ChloricDread29

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

I have done a S.M.A.R.T test on my hard drive and it says it is good, but not 100% like my SSD. I don't have an water cooling pump so that wouldn't be the problem and next time it makes the noise, I will try listen out for where it is coming from. Thanks for the reply!

ChloricDread29

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Fractal Design Core 1100
AMD Athlon 880K @ 4.2Ghz
ASUS A88XM-PLUS
CRUCIAL Ballistix 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HYNIX 240GB SSD - 6Gbps
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB SATA3 - 6Gbps
AMD RX 470 4GB
500W FSP Bronze PSU
Samsung SH-224DB 24X Internal DVD Writer Windows 10 Pro

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
One early sign of a failing fan bearing is that, after the system has been off and cooled down, the fan makes a significant noise when first turned on. After a short time this stops as the fan bearings warm up and the excessive clearance in them gets tighter. If you shut down and re-start right away, the noise does not happen again. But if you shut down and let it cool before re-starting, the noise is back temporarily. If that is what you are observing, plan to replace the fan soon before it fails completely.

ChloricDread29

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

The noise is coming from the fan at the back of my pc. Will I have to get a new one? Is there no way of fixing it?

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

It's better just to replace it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
"The noise is coming from the fan at the back of my pc. Will I have to get a new one? Is there no way of fixing it?"

No, you can't fix a fan with this problem. You cannot replace the bearings in the motor. There really is no way even to add a tiny bit of oil to the bearings - they cannot be reached.