PC makes strange noise on start up

jjbarea

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
hey guys so couple of weeks ago my PC started having this problem, i really don't know what was the cause of it, i didn't change any parts, i didn't open or touch anything inside the case, it just randomly started happening, and now every time i turn on PC it makes this strange noise almost like jet engines starting or something :D

I have to turn off and on my PC around 6-7 times for it to go away, usually by the time 8th time i turn it on the sound is gone and PC starts silently with no extra noises.

here is the video of the noise, i'm sorry there is not much to see i dunno why its black i was pointing at PC ,maybe it was too dark in the room, but anyways you can clearly hear that noise.

would i be wrong in thinking that its the CPU fan doing something funky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZTAJSWtbc&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like one of your fans (could be from the CPU/GPU or from the case) is not properly installed, after some time of usage it gets back to it's appropriate place thus the weird sound goes away, check all your fans are properly mounted, if you still can't get rid of that sound test your pc by disabling fans one by one until the sound disappears.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
One of your fans is in the process of dying. To figure out which one open the case and start the computer, when it makes the noise stop the fans one by one with something (not your finger). Once the noise stops you've found the fan that's dying. Generally it'll be a case fan that's mounted vertically rather than laying flat. The need to replace is based on how much you can stand the noise, it'll still run for some time it'll just get louder and louder.

jjbarea

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

yep guys you were right its 1 of the 2 GPU fans making that noise, i have gtx460 :)D) twin frozr and its the right fan making that noise when i stop it there is no noise, i let it go - 10 seconds later it starts again, any ideas how to fix this ? but what i dont understand is why when i turn off and on my PC like 7 times in a row (until i see windows screen) it goes away by itself without me doing anything there?