Question Pc making a ''rattle'' noise when fans speed up.

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Hi, since last night. i was playing Sea Of Thieves and suddenly my CPU ( atleast thats what it sounds like where its coming from ) is making a rattle noise when the fan speeds up. ive played this game for about 5-6 months now and never had problems at all. i had graphic settings on High but turned it down to Medium since last night because of the rattle. the rattle is still there but not as bad anymore. after running it for a hour the temp stays at 70C while it used to stay at 55-60C on High settings.

ive tried cleaning it / checking for loose cables and what not but its still not gone. i have no weird rattle sound when im doing other things like youtube / movies / or other stuff. even other games are fine. but the moment i set sail the sound comes again. i close Sea Of Thieves and sound is gone.

my specs.

Windows 10 64Bit
2x 8GB Hyper X Fury Ram
PSU : Bequit 11 Pure Power 600Watt
GPU : Sapphire Rx580 NITRO+ 8GB
CPU : Ryzen 7 2700X
HDD : Toshiba 1 TB 7200RPM
MOBO : AsRock B450M

extra info : while its running ''idle'' now the temps are
Motherboard : 33.0C
CPU : 47.3 C
Auxiliary 33.0 C <--- no idea what this is though

if there is anything i forget to mention specs wise please let me know ill update it as quik as possible.

EDIT : 2.0. after trying to ''force'' the rattle i think i found out how its happening. i turned my case around and just let the game do its thing. the moment the rattle start is when the fan blades spin backwards a little. ( thats what it looks like ) too me i think thats where the problem is coming from. but i have no idea to stop them from going spinning back.

Edit 3.0 : HWINfo picture from fan speed. i had to do it quik the moment i alt tab the rattle goes away. but i managed to capture CPU FAN at 2800 +RPM View: https://imgur.com/JgB9V8T

EDIT : picture from PC and BIOS
View: https://imgur.com/a/d9LEPYt#chEKN8X

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to inspect the system with the side panel off to isolate the source of the noise. You might want to get an old kitchen towel roll(cardboard) and use that as a tube to hold against your ears when the noise comes around.

You might also want to see if the noise is coming from the PSU or the back side of the GPU or the VRM area of the CPU. Perhaps an audio/video clip of the issue?

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
I would ask you to inspect the system with the side panel off to isolate the source of the noise. You might want to get an old kitchen towel roll(cardboard) and use that as a tube to hold against your ears when the noise comes around.

You might also want to see if the noise is coming from the PSU or the back side of the GPU or the VRM area of the CPU. Perhaps an audio/video clip of the issue?
Hello, ive tried to do a audio recording but the sound is like 10x worse on it. it makes it sound like my PC is a industrial drilling machine xD but ive posted in ''edit 2.0'' where i think i found the solution. i try my best to explain. obviously you know this but. the fans are spinning right. when the ''rattle'' is happening they spin a little to the left.

@sizzling i thought that could be a issue too. probally is now ive removed the side panel and looked for it. while it was running